Chapter 13

Alex's POV:

I rushed straight to Dustin's place. Questions fighting for answers in my head. It gave me a headache. An unsettling feeling filled my chest and made it heavy, making my thoughts distorted.

Dustin was a stubborn kid, yes, but would he really lie about something so misleading to cover up his mess?

I did suspect he could've but I didn't think it would be for-gambling reasons.

He seemed very genuine about everything. He looked scared. He was terrified to even leave his apartment.

Dustin didn't seem like the type to scam others to that extent.

My hands stopped in mid air, in attempts to knock his door. The muffled sounds of people talking inside echoed into the hallway. I leaned closer, eavesdropping on what seemed to be a conversation between a group of people inside the apartment.

My first guess was that Audrey was back, but the informal way of speaking told me it wasn't her. Plus she said she'd be back in two weeks.

Leaning closer, my hands flat at each side of the door, I realized it could be his friends by the way they spoke.

"Are you sure she fell for it?"

"Believe me, she did. I'm certain she'll do whatever is possible to protect me." Dustin says and I clench my hands into tight fists.

"All I have to do is play victim and wait for the right time to ask for the money. I could tell her it's to payoff the errand boys to get off my back, or maybe plan a kidnapping."

They was silence for a while then a chuckle from one of them.

"I can't believe you tricked your sick neighbour. That's messed up bro." The laughter echoes louder.

But Dustin was silent. I couldn't hear him laugh with them.

"Do you want the money or not?" Dustin asked, angrily.

"Chill bro I'm just messing with you, jezz."

"But are you sure she's really loaded? I thought she worked as a barista?" A different male voice spoke and I registered that there were more than two people in the room. Maybe three or four.

"She is. I saw her driving a Ford a few days ago-" I immediately knocked at the door. I had heard enough. Enough to realize how naïve I was to believe this kid.

I knock once more and I could hear low chatters and feet shuffling around the room, before the door swung open. "Greg, what took-" Dustin's frozen posture stood before me and the fury I felt outside began to increase just by looking at him. There were three other kids here. A girl and two boys. My eyes then hits the empty bottles on the center table and used cigarettes in a tiny bowl.

My pulse raced, my chest raising at the sight of them sitting around, their smug faces disappearing as there look up at me. "Shit." One of the guys cuss and I lower my head in frustration, trying not to look too mad even if I held in everything not to send them to the station and call their parents.

"Get out." I say in a low voice and without a word they scurried out brushing past Dustin.

I could see different emotions wash down his face as he tried to make up an excuse and when none came to mind he screwed up his face in a frown.

"I had no choice-"

I lift my palm to his face and he shuts up. I trudged over to a seat and sat in front of him, blankly looking at him. My head ached and I rubbed it in exhaustion. "Why did you need the money?"