Chapter 2

Alex's POV

"You aren't listening. I'm serious. He was...Death. I promise I saw him right here in the Coffee shop." My voice came out as desperate. Gabe's facial expression clearly meant he didn't believe me. His eyes narrowed and mouth slightly opened.

I continued, "he was right here," I gestured to the ground, pointing to the exact center, Death and I stood. My hands shook a little at the mere thought that Death visited me.

"When was the last time you saw a doctor?" He didn't believe me. Ah! This was frustrating. "Forget it. I have to go." It was six and my shift was over. Carol was to take my spot.

I grabbed my swing coat and walked out ignoring Gabe's call. "I'll see you tomorrow." I tell him before reaching for the handle and pushing the door open.

Was I imagining things? I didn't think lung cancer came with hallucinations. Maybe a prank. What if Gabe's in on this? I don't really have many friends for such an intense prank. No, no. I imagined it. Of course I imagined it. Death isn't a person. Maybe Gabe was right. I should go to Ivory.

Twisting the doorknob to Ivory's office, I peeked my head in first to announce myself. "Ivory, it's Alex? I need to talk to you." Entering I notice her by the file cabinet, trawling it.

"Alex? What brings you here? Is there any problem?" She stopped searching the cabinet and came to welcome me. I sighed deeply before sitting in the chair opposite her's. She sits and gives me her full attention. I wanted to just blabber to her that, A guy named Death came to visit me at work today and told me I was going to die today. But wanting to sound sane I asked her about my medical records. "Are there any changes? Like in my medical chart? I still have six months left, right?"

Narrowing her brows she said, "yeah. But you could have more if you did the surgery." Not this again.

I rolled my eyes and reclined in the seat, attempting to speak, "Ivory-"

"Look. I know it's risky. But it's the best shot you have at survival. At least think about it." She pleaded.

It wasn't that I didn't want to live. I wanted to live but who was I kidding. I was scared. If this doesn't work, I'm dead. There will be no six months of life. I wasn't ready to bet it all on a surgery which could kill me. Dying wasn't what scared me. It was the people I was leaving behind that did. My sister, aunt Rebecca, Ivory, dad, Gabe, Julia and everyone else I cared about. If I was going to die, I wanted them to know I did something good with my life.

"My answer still stands. Chemotherapy is enough for now. I'll still come for my weekly check ups and treatment but no surgery. Thank you for your time." I stood up, exiting the room. She lowered her head in failure and raised it to watch me walk out.

As I said before, I wasn't brave.

Life scared the shit out of me, so did death. I flipped my hair back and held it in position before pressing on the buttons of the elevator. Once it arrived I let go of my hair and walked in. It was empty so noone was there to see me wallowing. I stood in silence, as I felt the elevator drag me down slowly to the 1st floor.

Walking to the exit of the hospital, which was also an entrance, the chilliness from earlier in the Coffee House returned. Immediately, I turned to my back to check if he was back. I scrutinized the whole area with my eyes but still...Death wasn't here. Maybe he was never there. What if it's just stress which gets me so worked up? I mean...of course there is no-one called Death. That's ridiculous.

But the coldness told me otherwise. Returning my sights to the front door I froze completely. A reflection of him watching me from the back popped up on the glass door. Turning immediately, I found noone behind me. I did a quick search but he wasn't here.