Chapter 12

You gasped, putting your hand to your mouth. No. This couldn't have happened. You'd only known them for two or three days, they couldn't have died. Which one had it been if they had been killed? Hesitantly and with tears flowing freely now you made your way back over to the mess of bones and leaned down beside it, studying it with tear-filled eyes. You realised the clothes it had worn were in a mess beside it, torn and burnt. You grabbed them roughly, straining your eyes in the darkness. Relief crashed over you as you didn't recognise the clothes. It wasn't any of your friends, but they did look Elvish. Maybe an elf had come down here as well? Or had fallen in when the hole was made...His fate had ended not very pleasantly.

You set the brooch back down with its original owner, and you looked around, trying to determine which way the others had gone. You could always pick one at random...but it seemed too risky. Suddenly something caught your eye, and you turned to the entrance of one of the tunnels. You leaned down and picked up the object, inspecting it carefully. It was an elvish arrow. You thought you'd seen this particular arrow before, then you realised.

It was Legolas'.

Surely he couldn't be dead? What about the others as well? You slipped the arrow into your quiver and before you could think twice, set off down into the dark tunnel.

~~~

The tunnel was lit dimly by the occasional glowing green rocks, and you found that your eyes began to hurt from straining in the dim light. You took slow, cautious steps so you wouldn't trip over anything. Your hand ran along the side of the small tunnel wall, guiding you. Suddenly your hand bumped on something, and you stopped, staring at the lump in the wall. There were no rocks along here, so you couldn't see what it was. Maybe if you could grab one...You backtracked your steps, then stopped before a small glowing rock. You wrapped your hands around it and pulled. It didn't budge. You pulled harder, and it shifted a little. You counted down in your head, putting all your muscle into this one pull.

One. Two. Three.

You pulled as hard as you could, and the rock shifted and suddenly broke free, and you fell back with a yelp. But the rock was now in your hands, sending warm pulses throughout you, and you quickly got up and jogged back to the strange bump in the wall. You lifted the rock up to it, and realised it was a vine. It was a rather healthy green one it looked like, not sickly as it should have looked all the way down here. Confused, you left the vine, still carrying the rock. As you made your way throughout the tunnel, you came across a few more vines, and there were more and more as the tunnel grew lighter. Suddenly you came across a rather large cavern, the roof not as high as the Woodland Kingdom's, but perhaps half the height. The air seemed a little more breathable here, instead of being stuffy. Maybe that was because there was greenery in here, so much that it covered nearly every inch of the cavern. There were vines everywhere.

You stared around in awe and terror, not sure what to think of it. You cautiously entered the cavern, stepping carefully over the vines that rested on the stony ground. You walked over to a nearby vine, this one much larger than the others. A strange thought crossed your mind; if you could talk to living beings such as animals, could you talk to living plants? You reached out a hand to touch the vine, but a sudden rustling behind you stopped you in your tracks. You turned and gasped. A thick vine was slowly climbing up the wall, winding around other vines and small flowers sprouting from it. The flowers were a bright blue with a tinge of purple around the edges, with strange little white spots on the petals. It made it almost look...sick. The vine arched away from the roof, slowly soaring high over your head and connecting to the large vine you'd been about to touch. It wound down around it, then came to a sudden rest a few metres above your head. You released a breath you didn't know you'd been holding, and admired the beautiful vine with its odd flowers. A loud indignant muffled cry came from near the vine, making you jump. You turned to the sound, then realised there was a leg sticking out of the interwoven vines, writhing.