Chapter 9

You sat beneath a pillar, silently watching Legolas and Tauriel discussing matters of wizards. They argued back and forth, never agreeing on a single thing. You sighed, wiping your knife clean of blood on the edge of a stone stair beside you. The simple sight of the red sticky liquid made you feel queasy, and you hastily scraped it off.

"We'd never get Gandalf here in time before he wakes up," Tauriel was saying agitatedly, gesturing to Thranduil as she paced back and forth.

"Then I go and you stay," Legolas said exasperated.

"One lone elf is not enough to take care of our king," Tauriel argued.

"Then we gather the other elves of this kingdom," Legolas snapped. "They'll listen to you."

"We don't know where their loyalties lie," Tauriel snapped back.

You watched with faint amusement and boredom. Impatient, you butted in. "Now I understand why you two never got together." Legolas and Tauriel whirled on you, equal amounts of frustration and confusion on their faces. "You never agree on anything." You got to your feet, putting your knife away. "How about this: You two stay here, and I go find Aragorn and Gimli, then we go find Gandalf and you two can put Mr Glorious cape over here back to sleep every time he wakes up. Sound cool?"

"You aren't going alone to find them," Legolas said instantly.

"I'm not asking," you said.

"You are completely new to the dangers of this world, Y/N!" Legolas argued. "You can't just start trying to play the hero every time a problem arises. There are dangers in this world that you just don't understand."

"I can fight!" you protested. "How do you think I got these weapons? I fought. I'm not useless, Legolas."

"You are not going," Legolas repeated sternly.

"Yes I am," you said, walking to the stairs. You felt a strong hand grip your arm, pulling you back. You whirled back and bumped into Legolas. You looked up at him, glaring.

"You are not going," Legolas repeated again.

"Y/N! Legolas!"

Legolas instantly released you at the sound of Aragorn's voice, and you both turned to see Aragorn and Gimli springing up the stairs towards the three of you. Aragorn instantly went straight up to you, pulling you into a hug. "Don't you ever run off again, Y/N."

"Too soon, Mr Strider," you mumbled, your voice muffled by his chest. "Geez, I wasn't even gone for that long..."

Aragorn released you and glared down at you sternly. "Don't you ever run off again," he said again.

"No promises," you said cheekily.

Aragorn frowned and turned to Legolas. "Legolas! I see you have achieved victory."

"Only half of it," Legolas said, looking down at his father. "We do not know how to lure the dark servant out."

"Perhaps all you needed was an old wizard."

You all turned toward the newcomer, and Aragorn let out a breath of relief, while Gimli let out a loud, joyous laugh. A tall figure stood before you, clad in white, holding a shining white staff. Your eyes widened as you realised it was Gandalf the White, and you felt the need to bow, but at the same time you couldn't.

"Greetings, elves, men and dwarves," Gandalf said. His eyes shot to you, narrowing thoughtfully. "Though I do not remember meeting someone such as you."

"I'm, um, new," you mumbled.

"Indeed," Gandalf nodded. He walked over to the limp body of the king of Mirkwood, leaning down beside him. "I was called here recently by a dark presence. Something so dark that I came immediately, without hesitation. Would you care to explain?"