Chapter 8

You ran blindly through the darkness, not bothering to use the wall as your guide. But you wished you did when you collided with it. Ouch. You turned, then began running again. There was a soft light ahead of you, and you slowed, making your footsteps silent. Or as silent as yours could be, which, unfortunately, wasn't very silent. You came to a stop at the end of the small tunnel, peering around the wine room. Nobody was there, besides the still unconscious guards sprawled on the ground nearby. You cautiously stepped out of hiding and tip-toed to the stairs that led upward. You half expected someone to call out to you, to tell you to put your hands in the air or they'll shoot. But nothing happened. Breathing out a sigh of relief, you began your cautious climb up the stairs.

The stairs clung to the wall, and you clung to it as well as to not fall down. Funny thing you figured: you weren't overly fond of heights. You felt that if you even looked down, you would fall to your doom and never be found again. You stared ahead, focusing on the ascending stairs before you. Best not to think about that. The cavern seemed to expand as you climbed; there were more rooms and less light, for the dim torches were spread further apart. Your legs were beginning to feel sore, but you pushed on, determined to get to Legolas. I know, I know, you'd literally just met him. But you couldn't let him just go off by himself and whack Thranduil on the head. Well, true, he wasn't entirely alone. He had Tauriel, but somehow that didn't bring you much comfort. If what he said was true and a servant of FREAKING SAURON had taken over the king of Mirkwood, then he was going to need all the help he could get. Even if the only help was a she-elf and a girl from New York who had literally no battle training...

Don't. Think. About. That.

The large cavern before you began to lighten a little, and you found that you didn't have to squint. Suddenly you heard voices ahead, and you froze. Elves. Heading your way. You began to backtrack your steps, but you couldn't do it fast enough; besides, you were already tired from the climb. The elves came into view: two, to be precise. They wore sleek red tops that clung to their lithe frame and long green cloaks that swung from their movements. One of the elf's hair was tied back, while the other had it hung loose. They came to a stop as they saw you, instantly alert.

"Hey! You!"

Instead of running like you should have, even though you probably wouldn't have made it very far anyway, you stopped and raised your hands. "Ok! I surrender!" Wait a minute. You inwardly facepalmed yourself for your stupidity.

The elves stopped before you, knives drawn and a bow raised. "You're one of the prisoners! How did you escape?"

"Um, well, I uh..." You stammered for words, not sure how to respond. What you really wished you could do was give a big speech, enough of an inspiring speech about saving their king that they'd let you go. But you were literally the worst at giving speeches, so, yeah. That was out of the option.

"Speak!" said the one with the bow. "Or I will shoot."

"Now, you wouldn't want to shoot a lady, would you?" you said innocently. "That would be inappropriate." Oh, wait. Did you really just say that? Looks like you were playing it the charming way. "I wouldn't want to be around when Thranduil hears about this."

The guards seemed taken aback, glancing at one another uncertainly. "You will address him as king Thranduil," said one of the guards uncertainly.

"Oh, but he isn't really a king, is he?" you said. "You know he's been acting strange lately. He's not himself. And I'm your only hope of helping him."

The guards exchanged glances again, then began laughing. You rolled your eyes, letting out an annoyed breath.

"Only hope?" the guard with the bow scoffed. "There is nothing wrong with our king. And you will never speak to him that way. You are coming with us."