Chapter 6

The four of you all trudged through the forest, now taking the alternative route that Legolas had suggested. You trudged through soggy patches of grass, occasionally looking up at the trees in wonder. They rose high above your head, twisted branches intertwining with other trees. You could imagine the elves of the Woodland Realm running along these very branches, shooting at the Spiders that had occupied this very land years ago. You could have sworn you could hear the screams and defiant yells of the dwarves, and the near-silent footsteps of the sure-footed elves. This place seemed to draw you into a whole other fantasy, taking you back in time. You shook your head, trying to clear it, for you knew this place could play with your mind; even though Sauron was gone, the evil of this place had not yet fully faded. You focused on the road before you, which was in the least intriguing.

Dark green, light green, brown mud, black burnt tree, boring. Nothing seemed to catch your eye, but the actual thought that you were in one of the most well-known fantasy worlds kept you on your toes. You kept your gaze on the back of Legolas, the only lifeline each of the three of you had. Without him, you were bound to get lost.

The four of you came to a sharp bend in the path, then another one right after that. Your foot suddenly got caught on a root and you fell with a yelp. Legolas whirled around, grabbing your arms right before you hit the ground, pulling you up. You brushed yourself off, feeling heat rise to your cheeks.

"Thanks," you mumbled.

Legolas nodded, then turned back to face the path ahead. He moved as if to continue, then froze. He suddenly dropped into a crouch, signalling for you and the others to do the same. You dropped into a crouch, the hairs on the back of your neck standing up. You peeked over Legolas' shoulder and followed his gaze, but you couldn't see what he was looking at.

"What is it, Legolas?" Aragorn hissed.

Legolas held up a hand, not looking at Aragorn. Aragorn squeezed past you and crawled over to Legolas, following his gaze. You couldn't see his reaction, but you saw him stiffen. Gimli was shifting uncomfortably behind you, trying to peer over your shoulder. A long moment passed, the forest silent. Your legs began to cramp, and you shifted your weight. Suddenly a loud shriek pierced the air, and you jolted in surprise. It had been the sound of an animal that had unfortunately found its end. Legolas and Aragorn suddenly dropped even lower, and they signalled hastily for you and Gimli to do the same. You did, as well as a grumbling Gimli. You nudged him with your foot, and he didn't make another sound. Voices began to be heard, and you crouched lower instinctively. They sounded light and rich at the same time.

"Did you get it?"

"Yes. We will eat well tonight."

The Woodland elves! It was the Woodland elves! You might have died from excitement if you hadn't been hiding from them, but the very fact that there were WOODLAND ELVES in the woods near you, well, it gave you goosebumps. They were such cool fairytale creatures.

The soft footsteps on the ground suddenly stopped. "We're being watched," you heard one of them whisper. You stiffened, as well as the rest of the group. They knew we were here. You looked to Legolas desperately, knowing he was the only one who could save you guys now.

Legolas was crawling forward stealthily, practically flat on the leafy ground. You followed, a little less stealthily, but stealthy nonetheless. Soft footsteps began to grow closer to them, and you realised you were holding your breath. Then you remembered. Your power! Maybe you could call an animal, distract the elves! But they might kill it...was it really worth it? You shook your head, dismissing the thought. You had to save your new friends. You reached out in your mind, listening, listening. You heard many thoughts, but most were from the tiny critters under the earth. The thoughts were slowly fading from the fading animal that had been killed by the elves. Nothing else was near, except...birds. Birds would be a great distraction, and would prove difficult to shoot. That would be the perfect solution. You reached out to it, focusing. You felt another presence probing around, but it was soft, but at the same time desperate. Another animal speaker? But who...Legolas. It had to be Legolas. So he'd already thought of this idea long before you had. Greeeat. Well, he probably had much more experience with talking with animals than you. But the presence was somewhat weak, as if his power was not as great. You frowned, pushing yourself through the dry leaves. But you couldn't be stronger than Legolas, could you? At least with animal speak. You shook your head again, clearing the thoughts away. You had to focus on saving your friends. You reached out to the nearest bird, calling it with your mind.