Gwen's Wedding

August 2007

In a very good mood, Starla dances around her Gran's kitchen listening to the radio and making breakfast for herself, Jack and Mavis.

It's the morning of Gwen's wedding so she and her dad are in high spirits, "Don't you be breaking a leg," Jack teases walking in and putting his phone on the table.

Grinning, she turns the radio down a bit and dishes up both their breakfasts leaving Mavis' in the microwave to keep warm. They sit and eat eventually Mavis joins them. It's rare to have time like this away from the hub but the summer holidays have just started for Starla so she's in Cardiff for five full weeks.

Helping her Gran with the dishes, Jack's phone rings as he's halfway up the stairs to the bathroom, "Answer it Star, I gotta pee."

Putting down the plate she's drying off, she wipes her hands and picks up the phone seeing Gwen's name. In a good mood, she answers it cheerfully, "Morning Gwen, don't tell me... you've got cold feet and need us to sort a way out for you?"

Her good mood drops as Gwen explains she has a problem, "I'll ring Owen and get him to come across to you. Dad and I will be there soon."

------

Shutting the front door to Gwen's flat, Jack and Starla appear in her bedroom doorway. Owen quickly removes his stethoscope from her protruding round belly, "How are you doing, Gwen?" Jack asks.

"Jack, will you tell me what's going on? Owen says I'm pregnant."

Jack laughs gesturing to her bump, "Oh, you think?"

"Jesus Christ! What with?"

"It's an exobiological insemination," Owen explains, "That alien last night."

"Oh, get off!" She pushes Owen away from her and surges to her feet. She's moving past Jack and Starla out the bedroom door.

"It bit me, Jack. That's all."

Owen turns to look at Jack. Jack rolls his eyes. They follow Gwen to the living room/kitchen.

Gwen pours herself a glass of water as they walk in, Jack explaining further, "Passed the eggs on in the bite. Some species do that. A kind of sneaky way of keeping the bloodline going."

"Listen, Gwen, you are going to be fine, I promise," Owen assures her, "If there was any biological incompatibility you would be dead." Gwen opens the refrigerator and reaches for something to eat. Owen takes out his scanner, "Now, according to this scan you're carrying a non-sentient blastopheric mass."

"A what?!" She opens the jar of pickles and starts eating. Starla bites back a laugh.

"It's a kind of alien egg. But don't worry... I'm going to look after you, I promise. We've got procedures for this situation."

"This has happened before?" Starla frowns.

"You've heard of immaculate conception, haven't you? Well..." He doesn't finish the sentence as the look on her face tells him she understands.

"Right, we take you back to the hub," Owen orders, "You lie back, I run a bio-xenic microtron, a couple of days off your feet, and you'll be right as rain."

"Whoa, a couple of days? In five hours I'm walking down the aisle, Owen."

"No, you're not. Gwen, I hate to say this, but you're going to have to postpone the wedding."

"No! N-no way. Have you any idea how much a wedding costs?"

"Listen, Gwen," Jack tries to reason, "You're not carrying the baby Jesus in there."