Newbie

*Warning - contains mentions of sex and mature themes*

I have rated this book mature because of some of the scenes in Torchwood however I will not go into huge detail with those types of series. Most of it will be mentioned with perhaps some smut later in the book, but I'm keeping it as mature just to be safe.

Lost in her thoughts, Starla walks towards Cardiff Bay, pizza box in hand. She wanted some air after spending the day helping around the hub and decided to get dinner on the way back.

Her phone rings as she comes into range of the hub's CCTV camera, grinning she answers, "Is that pizza?" She hears Owen shout in the background.

Before she can answer a rumbling behind her, turning she sees an orange fireball travelling across the sky, "Dad, you seeing this?"

She hears movement over the phone, "Yeah, get down here now. I'll text Gwen."

Stepping onto the invisible lift she dumps the pizza on the coffee table and they grab what they need. Gwen arrives quickly and they head out in the SUV, tomorrow should have been her first day but needs must.

"Simple locate and clean up operation," Jack explains, "Find that meteorite before anyone else gets their hands on it. Good to see you by the way," He makes Gwen feel welcome.

"You got enough kit?" Gwen jumps at the tracking and the surveillance kit automatically comes out. Starla giggles, it amazed her the first time she saw it.

"Basic tracking and surveillance. With this, we can tap into CCTV network, national databases..."

"This is the police computer system, you shouldn't have this."

"I think you need to turn the you into we," Starla reminds her with a smile, "Your one of us now." Gwen returns the smile.

"Shit," Owen huffs when they arrive at the scene. The Army already setting up.

Getting out, they walk through Starla hangs back when Gwen runs to retrieve to box she left on the ground by the SUV. They follow to the tent the rest of the team went into a moment ago and are stopped by one of the soldiers, "Who the hell are you two?"

"Um..." Gwen stumbles unsure what to say.

"This area is restricted."

"Special ops," Starla informs him, "We're Torchwood."

"Don't mess with me child nor you, little girl. And even if you were..."

"You'd have put out the welcome banners," Jack comes back to rescue them, "First of all, she..." She points at Gwen, "...is no little girl. From where I'm standing she has all the right curves in all the right places but as for the child, she is my daughter and I can assure you they're both part of Torchwood, all three of us are and we'd appreciate it if you'd leave us to do the real work."

He grabs Starla's hand leading them through, "Let's see what we came for." She grins even after a year with Torchwood, she still gets excited about new sights.

They follow him down into a crater where a large meteorite sits in the centre, Owen and Tosh are already working on getting what information they can, "What do we know?" Jack asks.

"Bog standard space debris," Owen sighs looking it over closely for any sign of something more.

"Take all the readings and let's get out of here," Jack orders. Getting on with it Starla and Jack toss them the tools they need while Gwen stays back shadowing to get an idea of how it all works.

"Make yourself useful, sweetheart," Owen gestures to Gwen, "Pass us the big chisel from the toolbox."

"Not sweetheart," She reprimands, "Gwen. One syllable I'm sure you can manage it."