|4|

ᴵᶜᵉᵐᵃⁿ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴳʰᵒˢᵗ...

Maverick rode his bike to Iceman's place, he still couldn't believe it.

Ghost... contacted him, after four years. Maverick knew that Ghost had questions regarding his daughter and Maverick... owed him the answers.

Maverick walked up to the door, the door opened revealed Sarah, Iceman's wife, they both hugged before walking into the house. "Maverick." She said with a slight smile. "Ghost is already here." Sarah added but Maverick knew something was off. "It's come back?" Maverick then asked.

"No one knows... there's nothing else they can do, even speaking is painful now." Sarah explained, her emotions were getting the best of her. "Sarah... i'm so sorry." Maverick said as he pulled Sarah into another hug.

Ghost sighed in the hallway. Then he looked up to see a photo of his daughter with Iceman which put a smile on Ghost's face. Maria had always looked up to Iceman, Maverick and Iceman were the biggest competition of their life over that, but in the end, it didn't matter.

Ghost looked over and saw Maverick approached him. Ghost smiled, Then he pulled Maverick into a hug. "Hello Old friend." Ghost said. "I owe you some answers." Maverick then stated. "I know, but let's check in on our friend." Ghost commented and Maverick nodded.

Maverick and Ghost approached the door, They heard Iceman coughing which pained the both of them. He was looking at paperwork then Maverick shut the door. "Admiral." Maverick called out which caught Iceman's attention.

Maverick and Ghost grabbed a chair and sat it near. "How's my wingman?" Maverick questioned him. Iceman smiled then turned towards his computer then typed out "I want to talk about work."

"Please... don't worry about me, What can I do for you?" Maverick asked him then Iceman pointed at the screen again. "You should know not to put it past Iceman." Ghost commented.

Maverick was going to argue, he sighed. "All right, Well both Rooster and Bambi still angry with me about what I did. I thought eventually They would understand why...Hoped they forgive me.... I mean Ghost and Valor, I didn't give an explanation but I had my reasons for Rooster maybe it was out of fear for Bambi" Maverick explained to Iceman. Ghost pondered, then he remember the promise Maverick made to Carole.

Then Iceman typed out. "There's still time." Maverick shook his head. "The mission is less then three weeks away... The both of them, they're not ready." Maverick said. Ghost eyes watered. He knew his daughter was the best pilot out there, but he was understanding Maverick's intentions at that very moment.

Iceman typed out. "Then teach the both of them." "Rooster and Bambi doesn't want what I have to give." Maverick said then Iceman just waved his hand with annoyance. "Ice.. please. don't ask me to send someone else to die, please don't... don't ask me to send him... don't ask me to send Bambi... send me." Maverick said.

Iceman typed out, "It's time to let go." Maverick sighed. Ghost remember his wife would always tell him that, even in her final days.

"I don't know how." Maverick said to him. "I'm not a teacher Ice, I'm a fighter pilot... Naval aviator... it's not what I am....it's who I am. How do I teach that?" Ghost wiped any tears that quickly came about away. "Even if I could teach it, It's not what Rooster and Bambi wants. it's not what the Navy wants, that's why they canned me the last time. The only reason I'm here is because of you and Ghost.. If I send the both of them on this mission, They might not ever come home plus I could never forgive myself Ghost, you already lost your wife, I don't want to see you lose your daughter, your only daughter, your sons to lose their older sister, I don't want that for you and your sons.. and If I don't send them, he'll never forgive me, Bambi won't either, but Ghost I'm not sure with you because you always wanted her to come home safely but I could lose you as a friend.... either way, I could lose the both of them forever." Maverick said as he then looked at the computer screen. Ghost bit his lip, As parent, he now got it right then and there why he did what he did to Rooster and Bambi, Maverick might not be a parent but he did out of fear and was keeping a promise to somebody, Ghost finally got why he did what he did.

"I know...I know." Maverick said as he took a breathe. Iceman got up out of his chair and so did Maverick. "The Navy...needs...Maverick, The kid..needs..Maverick..That's...why... I fought for you...along with Ghost even Scoob..That's why your still here." Iceman said. Ghost nodded with a smile on his face.

"Thank you Ice...for everything, and you as well Ghost." Maverick said as Ghost walked over towards them. "One last thing?" Iceman asked. Ghost rose a brow at their friend and Maverick looked at him. "Whose the better pilot..you or me?" Iceman asked. "This is a nice moment...lets not ruin it." Maverick said as the three of them chuckled. Iceman pulled Maverick into another hug.

Before they left, "And Ghost..." Iceman called out. Ghost looked back, teary eyed, He smiled. "I think your daughter took after... her uncle Ice." Iceman said. "Yeah yeah... but she took after me as well." Ghost said as the three of them chuckled. 

Ghost and Maverick walked out of Iceman's office. Ghost wiped the tears away, "Now... now I get it." Ghost said then he looked at Maverick. "After Goose, that's all you wanted to do for both Rooster and Bambi, protect them from the same fate." Ghost added. "Oh how I wanted to protect my daughter even more after we lost Nick, even with Sheldon and I coming close to that same fate, then watching Bradley and Carole loose him, Maria felt their pain and I know she had the same fear that she thought she was going to lose one or both of her parents, but I just knew, I couldn't prevent my daughter from doing this, especially when both of her parents are pilots, huge name." Ghost finished. 

"Ghost, I messed up things with your daughter and Rooster." Maverick said. "I now get it, they might not understand it because.. their not a parent." Ghost said. "I forgive you Mav, but now it's time to explain to both Bambi and Rooster, you owe them that." Ghost added as he patted Maverick on the shoulder before leaving.

As Ghost was walking to his car, his phone began to ring. He smiled to realize it was his daughter. "Hey Bambi." He answered. "Hey old man, how's everything going?" Bambi asked. "Oh just saw your uncle Ice." Ghost said. "How is he doing?" Bambi asked.

"He's tough, but how are you doing?" Ghost asked his daughter. "Oh it's been a rough start to be honest with you." Bambi responded. "Maverick?" Ghost asked and his daughter hummed in response. "If I'm being honest both you and Rooster need to talk to him about this, that's the only way you two are ever going to get any answers about why this happened." Ghost added. 

She sighed. "I guess your right.." Bambi said. "I know i'm right kid, I promise this admiral is going to stop by and check on the training. I got to go, Love you." Ghost said. "Love you too Old man." Bambi said.

"When will you stop calling me that?"