The Land of the Back Door

As I regained consciousness, a sharp pain surged through my body. It felt as though every inch of me was in agony. Opening my eyes, I found myself surrounded by darkness, with numerous doors and twinkling stars above. In the distance, I could see two figures engaged in a conversation.

Struggling to move, I realized that my body was unresponsive. My attempts were futile. The two figures noticed my awakening and approached me with a mixture of surprise and relief in their voices.

"Oh my! You're awake!" one of them exclaimed.

"He's awake! Should we inform Lady Okina?" the other suggested.

"Lady Okina?" I pondered silently, Confusion clouded my thoughts as I looked up at the figures.

"Hm? Ahh! Let's introduce ourselves first!" exclaimed the girl in the dotted magenta dress with short sleeves, as she began to dance gracefully. "My name is Satono Nishida, a subordinate of Lady Okina Matara," she announced, twirling at the end of her dance.

The other girl, dressed in a dotted dark green dress with short sleeves, joined in the dance. "And I'm Mai Teireida, also a subordinate of Lady Okina Matara!" she introduced herself, twirling alongside Satono.

I attempted to speak, but no words escaped my lips. Frustration washed over me as I struggled to communicate.

"Hm?" The two girls exchanged puzzled glances before turning their attention back to me. "Why can't he speak?" Satono wondered aloud, her expression filled with curiosity and concern.

"Let's bring him to Lady Okina first!" Satono suggested eagerly.

"Good idea, Mai!"

They each took hold of one of my arms and began to drag me along with them.

As they drag me, Satono and Mai chatted amongst themselves, occasionally glancing back at me with curious expressions. I tried to speak, to ask them where they were taking me and who Lady Okina was, but my voice still wouldn't cooperate.

Finally, Satono and Mai stopped, releasing their grip on my arms, and exchanged a knowing look. Without a word.

There, seated on an ornate throne, was Lady Okina Matara herself. "Welcome," Lady Okina said, her voice carrying a melodic quality that resonated throughout the chamber. "I've been expecting you."

I tried to speak again, but my voice still eluded me. Lady Okina nodded understandingly as if she could hear my unspoken words.

"Fear not, young one. Your voice will return in due time," she assured me, her voice soothing and comforting. "But for now, I shall answer the questions in your mind."

Why am I here?

Lady Okina smiled, her eyes sparkling with intrigue. "You're here because I am curious," she replied. "Yukari herself transported you to Gensokyo, but instead of being sent back to the outside world, you have found yourself here."

Curious? No... There's probably more reason than that.

"Well, aren't you a sharp one," she said playfully. "But first, let me explain where you are right now." She paused, her gaze fixed on me. "Welcome to the Land of Backdoors."

"The land of backdoors is nothing more than my own realm." Lady Okina explained. "Which holds doorways to many places that lead to many places in Gensokyo" Her smile widened, sensing my growing curiosity. "You, human, have something special. Probably Yukari herself gave you something?"

I nodded my head and reached for the steel sword that Lady Yukari had entrusted to me during my time in Hakugyokurou. The weapon held a deep history, crafted by a skilled youkai in ages past.

Just then my surroundings began to shimmer and glow.

I could feel the connection between me and Lady Okina fading. Her playful laughter filled the air, and she spoke, "Hmm~ Looks like time's up... Let's meet in person... Ah, I forgot, what's your name again?"

Finally able to speak, I replied, "My name is Shun, the butler of the Scarlet Devil Mansion!"

Okina's eyes widened with recognition, and a warm smile graced her face. "Ah, Shun, the esteemed butler! It was a pleasure to have this conversation with you. Till we meet again... Though I have some explaining to do, don't I?"

Before I could inquire further, the brightness enveloped me, and the mysterious realm of the Land of Backdoors faded away, leaving me back in my surroundings.

"Where am I this time...?" I wondered aloud as I surveyed my surroundings. To my surprise, I noticed a pair of rabbit ears near me. "Hm?" Curiosity got the better of me, and I reached out to touch the rabbit ears gently.

"Hm?" The owner of the rabbit ears, a girl with a concerned expression, looked up at me. Her eyes widened in recognition. "Ah! Lady Eirin! Shun's awake!"

"Miss Eirin?" I repeated, my memory slowly piecing together the puzzle. The girl in front of me was Reisen Udongein Inaba, one of the moon rabbits residing in Eientei. If Reisen was here, it meant that I must have found myself in Eientei.

Reisen quickly called out for Eirin, and soon enough, Eirin herself appeared, her graceful presence filling the room. Her silver hair cascaded down her back, and her knowledgeable gaze assessed me with a mix of relief and concern.

"Shun, you're finally awake," Eirin said, her voice calm yet tinged with worry. "You've been unconscious for four days now. How do you feel?"

I took a moment to gather my thoughts and assess my condition. "I feel a bit disoriented, but overall, I think I'm fine now."

Eirin nodded understandingly and motioned for me to sit up. "You were involved in a serious incident, and somehow you ended up here in Eientei. Rest assured, you are safe now. Reisen and I have been taking care of you. Though mostly Reisen did the work."

"L-Lady Eirin! You promised that you wouldn't say a thing!" Reisen said, her cheeks reddening in embarrassment.

Eirin chuckled softly, her gaze shifting towards the entrance of the room.

"My, my, it seems your patient has been awakened." A woman with a regal aura, dressed in a pink shirt adorned with white bows and a long, dark burgundy skirt adorned with intricate patterns of plants and flowers that represented the four seasons.

"Lady Kaguya," Eirin greeted respectfully, immediately bowing. Reisen followed suit, bowing as well.