33: pity invite

"Oy with the poodles already."

--☆--☆--☆--☆--☆--

When Cassie came back to Stars Hollow Lorelai hoped everything would go back to normal. She thought she had fixed all the problems between her and her youngest daughter. Cassie might physically be at home but she didn't feel like she was truly there.

She was there helping with decorations for Sookie's wedding. She was at the kitchen table for breakfast. She was using all the hot water then blaming it on Rory. But still, Cassie wasn't 100% there.

Cassie was doing absolutely everything in her power to let Lorelai believe that all their problems had disappeared. She put a smile on her face and tricked everyone into believing she was fine. She even managed to convince herself a couple times. But then she'd turn her head and see Lorelai and Rory laughing about something she didn't get and felt out of place all over again.

Even now as she sat in her grandparents house Cassie felt out of place. She was sitting on one couch, Lorelai and Rory were sharing the other.

"Huh," Lorelai looked up as a lightbulb appeared above her head, "You know what I just realized? Oy is the funniest word in the entire world."

"What?" Cassie looked at her mom with confusion in her eyes.

"I mean, think about it. You never hear the word oy and not smile. Impossible. It's a funny, funny word," She told them.

Emily shook her head, "Oh dear god."

"Poodle is another funny word."

"Poodle?" Cassie looked at her mom with the confused expression still present.

"Drink your drink Lorelai," Emily told her as she handed Rory a glass with coke in it.

"In fact, if you put oy and poodle together in the same sentence, you'd have a great new catch phrase," She looked around the room but the only people smiling were her daughters. "Like, oy with the poodles already. So from now on, when the perfect circumstances arise, we will use our new favorite catch phrase."

"Oy with the poodles already," Rory smiled at Lorelai.

"I'm telling you, it's' knocking 'whatcha talkin 'bout Willis' right out of first place," Lorelai added.

"Lorelai, for God's sake, be quiet," Emily shook her head once again at her daughter's antics.

Emily's most recent hire walked into the living room. "Dinner's ready, Mrs. Gilmore," she announced.