18: saying silent grace

"I think I'll wait for the clog dancing."

--☆--☆--☆--

It was finally time. The night of the Bracebridge dinner has officially begun. Sookie was in the kitchen freaking out her cooks, Michel was being rude, and Rune was trying to fit into his costume. Everything was right in the world.

Cassie and Sophie were in their room, finishing the getting ready process before they went downstairs to help. Sophie was standing by the mirror looking proudly at her own reflection while Cassie was attempting to zip up her dress.

"I'm actually really excited for tonight," Cassie admitted, causing Sophie to smile at her. "I get to hang with my best friend, in this crazy town, with weird ass food. It's gonna be great."

Cassie was still very eager to forget about everything going on in her life. She didn't want to be the girl that let the world pass her by because she broke up with her boyfriend. Some might even suggest she and Rory were similar in this aspect. Except Cassie didn't have a to do list going at 6 in the morning.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Sophie asked her, since Sophie was the first one to hear about the breakup.

Sophie was the only one to hear both sides of the story, given that she was friends with both Cassie and Josh. She was sad too, she wanted Cassie and Josh to stand the test of time. She wanted their relationship to be the one everyone talked about, saying things like: "Remember Cassie and Josh, they've been in love since they were 16." Now she had to watch as both of them recovered from a broken heart.

"I am fine," Cassie told her for the hundredth time, except this time she picked up the bottle that Sophie snuck past Lorelai. "I just want to have fun tonight and not think about it," Cassie added, as she picked up the flask Sophie snuck in.

"You're gonna have to think about it at some point," Sophie reminded her, watching as Cassie lowered the bottle from her lips. Cassie shook her head, a frown on her face.

"But not tonight," She replied, handing the bottle to Sophie. "So let's not talk about it."

Sophie shook her head because the only thing she really wanted to do was talk about Cassie and Josh. She saw how heartbroken they both are and how each of them are avoiding the topic in their own way. And she saw how badly Josh was doing without her.

"Cass-"

"Nope, Not tonight," Cassie replied and Sophie let out a sigh of disappointment.

She looked over at Cassie, who was smiling and laughing. It didn't make sense to her. But Sophie knew that Cassie needed her to be happy tonight. "Well there's no way you'll be thinking about Josh when I look this great," Sophie smiled as she posed in the mirror.