01: top three percent

"Kirk passed out."

--☆--☆--☆--

Faking happiness is too easy. Cassie came to this conclusion fairly early on in life. She could list at least 12 days in the last month when she's had to fake happiness. It's something she's been doing for so long she hardly notices it anymore. It's become a common phenomenon.

In fact Cassie was faking happiness right now. She was smiling, holding a small bouquet of yellow daisies in her hand. Listening as her sister went on and on about Max and Lorelai's future wedding. While Cassie was holding out hope that her mom would say no.

She knew it was terrible. She knew she was being selfish. She should want her Mom to find happiness and if Max makes her happy, then Cassie should be supportive. But it was hard for her, because the more Max was in their life the more Cassie was worried she'd fade into the background.

"You should get married in Italy," Rory suggested to her mom.

"All the way from home, the same topic," Lorelai shook her head as the three Gilmore continued to walk through town. "There's tons of stuff going on in the world."

"Like?"

"Balkans," Lorelai answered.

Cassie shook her head, "Mom, that was ages ago."

"Read a paper," Rory asked and Lorelai let out an annoyed sigh.

"They make my hands black," Lorelai told her daughters.

"Oh you should walk down the aisle to Frank Sinatra with a huge bouquet of something that smells really good," Rory added to her list of suggestions and once again Cassie rolled her eyes.

"Pot roast."

"And you should wear a long veil with your hair up."

"Or she could shave her head and really make this a memorable wedding," Cassie added but no one picked up on the cynicism in her voice.

"Cassie..." Rory gave her an annoyed look.

"Kidding," Cassie told her with a smile.

Lorelai groaned, "I'll take any other subject in the world for $200..."

"Why don't you want to think about this?" Rory asked her Mom, not seeing all the downsides that her sister did.

"'Cause I haven't made up my mind about the 'yes' or 'no' part," Lorelai reminded her, not realizing her youngest daughter was rooting for 'no'. "So I don't want to start fantasizing about dresses and flowers or doves and tulle until I do so, please, change the subject."