Getaway Car

Taylor Swift

Some lyrics were changed

—-

Dazai POV

The Agency was already buzzing with energy by the time that I walked for the morning, the scent of Chuuya's soap still lingering on my skin. My lips ached from the small smile there that had been with me since I woke up this morning to the sound dishes clinking together and the light steps of a small body moving through the house. Paint had been stuck to my skin and charcoal to my finger tips from me painting the day before well into the night as Chuuya sat in the corner of the room and read allowed from the book that I had been on. The other ability user had said that I looked like a mess while slinging water at  me when I tried to help with breakfast and had sent me to go shower, but there hadn't been any malice in his tone and only a smile on his lips that I mirrored even now.

The whole scene left a pleasant buzz beneath my skin that I hadn't felt in years and had never been allowed to truly give into when I had. The longer that I spent with the Slug, the more pain that settled in my chest at the thought of leaving him once more. The more that I remembered why I had to leave him the way that I had, though he and I both knew that this time would be much more permanent, turning  me into nothing more than a memory.

"Morning, Dazai," a sweet voice greeted form his desk, a bright smile plastered over the boy's face.

"Good morning, Atsushi," I told the younger detective, a small wave punctuating the sentiment.

I sat down at my desk next to the white haired teen, going through the emails that I had yet to check for the past few days, not that anyone ever really expected me to, even these days when I had done more paperwork as of later than even Kunikida as of late. 

"Um... Dazai," a hesitant voice called out. I turned to look at the younger detective, feeling my smile dip back into that of a more normal expression at the way that the teen was speaking. Whatever it was that he was about to say wasn't going to be something too pleasant for me. "Can I as you a question?"

—-

Atsushi POV

Yosano's words from the other day were still ringing in my ears as Dazai sat down at his desk, a small smile on the man's lips that seemed more real than anything any of us had actually seen before. All of the jester smiles and antics paled in comparison to the calm look that the man held as he walked in, maybe that's why I felt so bad for being the reason that it went away.

"Sure," Dazai replied easily, a small shrug on his shoulders as he hadn't just fallen into a false calm. "Shoot."

"You had a partner in the mafia, right?" I asked, earning a pointed look from the Agency doctor, a confused glance from the blond detective, and a nod from the man sitting next to me. "How did you meet them?"

I watched as Dazai's eyebrow shot up at the question, though I still felt that he had been expecting it. Now that I had heard some of the things that really go on in the other detective's head, it was easier to see some of the falsehoods in his expressions and words. It was even easier to see that he should've for all rights and purposes known that the four of us knew what was going on if he hadn't had been as distracted as he'd obviously become because of what'd happened with him and the man in the grave. 

"Why do you want to know all of the sudden?" He asked, his tone was amused but I could tell that it wasn't real. Not a lot with the man before me ever was.

I shrugged, waiting for the other detective to press, but when he didn't I knew that he was content with just waiting me out in silence or just letting the topic drop altogether. "Just curious." It wasn't a complete lie, something that the other man seemed to know and accept.