Somewhere Only We Know

Keane 

Some words changed to fit the situation (only like one or two)

—-

Dazai POV

For most people Friday is the godsend that comes at the end of the week that signals the beginning of a small break in their normal life and allows them to act for themselves for two days before they have to go back to the real world once more. It's something that people can't wait for and raises serotonin levels once's it comes, and normally I would agree with this sentiment, but today if the day had been a physical thing, I would have set it on fire.

Fucking Friday.

—-

3rd person/ switching POV

The Agency members all left the office in a small hub bub. They had all long since stoped looking at the lone detective that consents stay behind most days, those that didn't know why just attributed it to a new facet of the strangeness that the man often showed and payed it little thought other than that. Those that did know just followed the others out and pretended that they didn't.

The President, Ranpo, Yosano, and Atsushi, all those that knew of the situation other than Kyoka, huddled outside of the closed door, the three younger ones choosing to sit down on the ground while they waited while their boss stood as if sitting was beneath him. There was a tenses to the air that seemed to be chocking the four. They knew that something was going to happen today, something that Dazai obviously didn't want to, but they just didn't know how bad it was going to be or if it was going to be bad at all.

"I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the sea and it made me complete"

Though most of those outside of the room didn't quite understand what the man meant, Dazai knew exactly what he was saying. Over the years, Dazai had gone to see his friend enough that he knew the way to graveyard better than the lines on the back of his hand or the scars on his wrists. He knew the smell of the sea and was close to it enough that the scent often clung to him in the way he was sure it would have clung to Odasaku had he gotten his wish. By this time Dazai could tell you the schedule of each ship coming in and out of the harbor on any given day. 

An image of a grave by the sea came to Atsushi's mind and he knew that the assumption that he had made the day before was right. Everything that has been going on with his mentor has been because of that man. He didn't know if he should be mad at the dead man for causing Dazai grief even years after his passing or thankful for being the reason that Dazai left the mafia. He wasn't sure what kind of person that man had been back then, but he would like to think that he had been a good one.

"Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm gettin' old, and I need something to rely on"

Some of the others glanced at each other at the words the other detective had said. The man was only twenty-two, it didn't make sense to most of them that he would say that he was getting old when he was the age that most students were when they first graduated from college. But Ranpo understood, it was easy for him to do so. He knew that anyone would feel old at this age if they hadn't been planning on living past the age of fourteen. Though the detective supposed that this wasn't something that those around him needed to know.

"So, tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm gettin' tired, and I need somewhere to begin"

Odasaku had wanted Dazai to live, to become a good man and to help others. Dazai just wanted to know when it was enough. When he would become good enough, when it could all be enough in the other's eyes. Because it has been four years, four lonely years and he was tired, he didn't want to have to take it anymore.