Oh No!

Marina and The Diamonds 

Takes place after season two and Dead Apple 

—-

Dazai POV

A cruel smile split my lips as screams rang out around me in a violent melody that I knew all of the words to but never played myself. I was the conductor engineering a symphony that no child should ever know how to compose, but I did. The boss made sure of that. 

The knife in my hand fell to the ground at an unnaturally slow pace as the man chained to the wall before me spilled all of the information that I would ever need to hear from him. Expect when the man spoke, it was with a familiar voice that didn't fit the situation. When I looked back up, it wasn't the face of a stranger staring back at me, or even that of someone I vaguely remembered from back then. 

There were dark brown eyes boring into identical ones, except the other set was incomplete, a bandage wrapped securely around the left, the same one that neither of us could see out of with or without that bandage being there. The young boy had a dead look to his face that no one ever should though so many people in this cursed city possessed. Despite the way that he had spoken with fear earlier, none of it showed in the slightest. There was no pain their either even with the bloody lines that had been carved into the boy's skin making a mess of the white button up that he was wearing. 

When I looked down at my hands, they were stained with blood, my blood, and while that wasn't an unfamiliar sight, I hated the blotches of it that had gotten on the tan coat. 

"You hate me," the boy remarked, a smile much to close to the doctor's torn across his face to make me feel a throng close to comfort, "and yet I'm the unaltered truth, untainted by the humanity that we've always shied away from." The smile deepened into something just as sinister as the one that it was based on. "I'm all that's left without the mask."

—-

My eyes pried open as my breath caught in my throat. My heart was racing in a way that it only did after waking from nightmares, in the vulnerable moments when I wasn't conscious enough to know to force it to slow down just yet. 

I'd gone to lay down on the couch earlier when I started falling asleep at my desk after another night plagued by nightmares that I couldn't keep at bay even when I tried. I'd thought that even if I didn't fall asleep, I could at least close my eyes and pretend, but sleep had come to claim me almost instantly and I had foolishly let it.

After the pounding in my ears had returned to the silence that was supposed to be there, I felt just how profound that silence truly was. Not even the quite tapping a keys could be heard from Kunikida's desk, a near constant that only ceases when we have a case or he goes out to lunch. 

Getting up, I walked around the Agency, poking my head into each of the rooms I search of anyone that might be left, but there was no one here.

It's better this way, I suppose. This means that no one was here to see the state that I had been in when I woke up. 

A restless energy took over my body, a need to do something to keep the visions that always haunted my dreams from traipsing their way into reality. There was no one else around to help with that as there normally would be at any other time of the day, whether they knew what they were doing for me or not. I glanced around the office, looking for something to do, anything that would keep my hands and mind busy. I knew that I could easily read my guide book once more, but reading something that I already had memorized down to the punctuation marks and page numbers wouldn't keep my mind nearly as occupied as anything new could hope to.