Promise I

ACT I: a promise that he wanted to keep—a promise that is 'me'.

--

It wasn't always this bad between us. I had to admit we did have our calm days at some point before it turned sour. I hadn't always despise him. Though it was true that our marriage was impulsive, the setting was perfect for the humble me. I came from a background of generations of hoteliers, but I never liked big crowds or all the commotion. The same goes for my big day. I was glad that he felt the same.

Or at least, I thought he did too. Back then, I still could not differentiate between the real him and the fake him. I thought all he showed me was sincerity. And that was a huge mistake on my part.

--

The same day we went to get our marriage registered, we had a wedding photoshoot, as organised by Grandpa. It was held in one of the suites at one of the family's hotel branches, and Grandpa had the best designers pick really beautiful outfits.

Since it was supposedly a romantic photoshoot, it was very awkward for me, but it wasn't for him. Due to his occupation, he seemed to be able to pick up pace quickly, but I was glad the photographer and him had patience with me.

I still remembered how he looked at me with those gentle eyes and held my hand in his large and warm ones.

How was that all a lie, Luo Yunxi?

--

That night was our 'nuptial night', but he had a work schedule that could not be delayed, and so he left me alone that night. Since we are technically strangers, I didn't think much of it but felt a sense of relief. I looked out of the balcony overlooking the city of Shanghai in awe; the city was bustling with crowds even at night, while the prenuptial agreement that I had recently signed lay carefully on the nearby table. From then on, it was where I was supposed to live with him. From then on, it dawned on me that I was the legal Mrs. Luo.

I wasn't at all suspicious that he had gone early in the morning and returned late at night for the next several days. Knowing nothing about the schedules of celebrities and actors alike, I had no resolve to even think that something was suspicious. I told myself that it was because our marriage was unplanned and he had not the time to clear his schedule for me. It was not because of me. I still hope that it wasn't. 

Those were the first clues, but I have turned a blind eye to.

Luo Yunxi, were your gazes to me, lies? 

--

Luo Yunxi treated me very well. In fact, he was treating me so well that I could even say he was pampering me. Since the first day of our marriage, he has showered me with so many gifts; clothes, chocolates, and flowers. It was everything a girl would have wanted from her spouse.

Though he comes home late and leaves early, he ensures that he'll do the laundry and sometimes even leave me breakfast in the morning. I'm pretty sure he even does some cleaning, judging from the smell of the house from time to time. There was a time I accidentally spilled a drink on the floor, and when I momentarily went to the toilet before taking care of it, he apparently came home and took care of it before I could.

"You deserve all the best things in this world. You just be my wife, and let me take care of everything else."

Luo Yunxi, were those all lies?

-- 

Yunxi would come home, give me a small dessert, and go to his study room to read his drama script or practise. He would rarely sit with me and chill out, or just hang out with me and talk. In fact, he would rarely sit beside me and cuddle. I didn't count for that.