Chapter 1 - The Winterlands

A Fantasy Short-Story with 7 Chapters

- Chapter I -

The Winterlands

In the realm of the Snowy Mountains lies a land veiled in a pristine blanket of white, a place where life flourishes amidst the chilling embrace of winter.

 Carved by winding streams that meander through the terrain, this enchanting land is blessed with the proximity of the vast, azure ocean. Welcome to the Winterlands, where seasons come and go, but the allure of this captivating realm remains eternal.

For centuries, the Winterlands have stood as a steadfast sanctuary, welcoming daring souls who dared to brave its tempestuous embrace. Undeterred by the unforgiving calamities of winter, this enchanting realm has remained unscathed and hospitable. Amidst these lands lies a kingdom, firmly rooted in the heart of the Winterlands, that has thrived for countless decades, never wavering in its allegiance to the sacred ground it calls home. 

Known as The White Foglands, the kingdom derived its name from the ethereal shroud that envelops its surroundings. Once within its borders, one becomes engulfed in a dense mist of snow, obscuring visibility to a near-impossible extent. Yet, this mystifying phenomenon occurs twice a month, its enchantment lingering for a span of two to four days.

Within the Kingdom of White Foglands, ruled by the esteemed King Henry, a lineage of noble blood has flowed through the realm for generations.

 This high-born royal family has held the throne with honor and grace, preserving their legacy with utmost dignity. However, amidst the revered bloodline, there exists a prince unlike his predecessors; The anticipated heir to the kingdom, stands as an anomaly within his own kin. Rebellious and hedonistic in nature, he brazenly indulges in the pleasures of the local brothels, finding solace in his lustful pursuits.

 Unrestrained, he drowns his senses in excessive drink, surpassing any previous limits set by his predecessors. As the weight of his actions bears down upon the kingdom, King Henry, wearied by his son's behavior, grapples with mounting frustration and the looming question of his heir's future.

On this picturesque day in the kingdom, Prince Steffon the only child of the King , filled with a sense of adventure, embarked on a journey to explore the humble taverns and local brothels nestled within the vicinity of a place known as "The City of Slums." 

Here, a stark division existed between the High-born and the Low-born, as they were kept separate, shielded from one another by the filth and perceived unworthiness of those deemed non-royal. Although the kingdom boasted a reputation of unparalleled peace, an insidious undercurrent of vile class distinction pervaded its very core. 

A disdainful system had been erected, carefully orchestrated to segregate the low-born from the elevated echelons of society, leaving a bitter taste in the hearts of those confined to the lower rungs of existence.