A break from Humanity

Austin's POV

"Excuse me, we're going on vacation?" I sputtered. "To where? And why? With what money?"

Jasmine shrugged. "We'll figure that out later. I just think we deserve a break from everything. What's the date?"

Will looked at his monster-proof phone. "September 28th."

Jasmine's eyes went wide. "It's perfect. We should get out of here. This place has got my mind going mad. Even more mad than it was already was."

"Where would we go, anyways?" I asked. "I don't have a passport."

"Not on a plane," Jasmine shook her head. "We should go on a road trip around the place. It'll be nice."

"But you're the only one who can drive-" Percy shuddered.

Jasmine frowned at him jokingly. "I know that. But we'll be fine. They gave me a license for a reason."

"That reason is?" I started.

"You'll find out," Jasmine smiled. "Pack up your things, boys! We're going on a road trip!"

We packed all of our things up and stuffed the bags into the trunk of Jasmine's car. She and I sat in the front, since Will wanted to sit next to his boyfriend in case the fell asleep. Percy just didn't like being in the line of danger if Jasmine did crash the car.

"Where are we going?" I asked her when she pulled the car out of the driveway.

"Nevada," Jasmine answered.

"Uh, why?" I asked.

"So we can go see the Hoover Dam."

Percy burst out laughing in the back seat uncontrollably.

"Why, exactly?" Nico asked.

"I want to go see the Dam place," Jasmine grinned.

Percy kept laughing. "I can't be the only one who finds this funny!"

Jasmine was grinning. "That's a joke between my friends and I."

"Same with me!" Percy high fived her, even thought she was driving.

"Anyone want to play a game?" Jasmine asked us a few minutes later.

"I swear to God, if you make us play I spy or anything like that, I will explode," Nico muttered.

"No, never," Jasmine agreed. "Those games suck."

"Then what were you suggesting?" Nico asked.

"Sing a song with the word," Jasmine grinned deviously. "You say a word, then the others have to sing a song that word is in."

"That sounds fun," Will nudged his boyfriend.

"I'll go first," I smiled. "Uh, sing a song with the word: Dust."

"Ooh!" Jasmine exclaimed. "Another one bites the Dust, by Queen."

"What's that song?" Percy asked. "I feel like I've heard that before."

"Out of the doorway, the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat, yeah

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust" Jasmine sang softly.

"That's a classic," Will nodded. "Good one, too."

"My turn," Jasmine cleared her throat. "Sing a song with the word: River."

Will and I were the children of Apollo, the God of Music. I wondered why we couldn't think of any music with that word in it.

"Nobody?" Jasmine asked. "I thought y'all would get that one."

"What song were you thinking about?" Nico asked.

"I swear on my life and on the river Styx," Jasmine sang. "Achilles Heel, by J. Maya."

"How do you know that song?" Percy demanded, sitting on the edge of his seat.

"It's just a song," Jasmine shrugged. "By a singer. Why are y'all acting so uncomfortable?"

"Nothing," Nico sat back in Will's arms.

We played more of that game, but stopped a couple rounds after the River Styx incident. I could tell Jasmine was a little confused why we were so serious about the River, but it made me think things through. Maybe Jasmine knew our secret about being demigods. But that was impossible. How could she even know things like that? She probably saw something she shouldn't have.

Day turned to night soon enough, and everyone was asleep. Except for Jasmine and I.

"Hey, are you doing okay?" I asked her.

"Why wouldn't I be?" She pursed her lips.

"You just seem...shaken up," I observed. "What does Ms. Mclean really do to you? Not to be rude, but you sounded like you were lying."

Jasmine laughed lightly and humorlessly. "Yeah, I did. I didn't want y'all to worry about me."

"Why?" I asked her. "We could've helped you."

She shook her head. "I'm not used to people helping me with things. I don't like it when people help me. I'm an independant person. Having y'all help me with my issues just doesn't feel right."

"Jasmine, what do you know about us?" I blurted. "It's obvious you know something."

Jasmine sighed. "I've been doing some research, but nothing's come up. I feel like I'm living in a dream. Something happened without explanation, but it turned out it wasn't real. It's fine. I don't know anything about you guys."

"But you do want to know something, right?" I wondered.

"Yeah," Jasmine agreed. "It's just not my strong suit to be hidden by secrets. Before Nico came, Will and I were so tight. He would make me happy and comfortable with myself. But then the secrets came rolling in. I felt as if nothing was good enough to tell me. It hurts, deep inside. You know?"

I nodded. "I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I wish I knew why my dad wants me here, but Will's his favorite child. It's hard to get information out of him."

"That's not a problem for me," Jasmine said. "I'm the only child. My parents either tell me everything or don't tell me anything at all."

"I honestly think we're a little similar," I shrugged. "You're lonely but loved. I'm loved but lonely."

Jasmine smiled. "Thanks for making me feel better, Austin."

"I'm going to go to bed," I decided. "How are you going to stay awake?"

"Coffee," Jasmine sighed. "I'll probably park somewhere public to sleep. Then we'll be back on the road."

"Goodnight," I told her.

"Night, Austin," She said sweetly.