Chapter 2: Caged Bird

Testing reality was very dependent on the fantasy to it was being compared to. Was it really all an illusion when it was presented in a very illustrious, obnoxious way like a luxury car transfer, complete with fully armed security and entourage, from the airport to an unknown mansion that was equally lavished with adornments, lines of men, more bodyguards, and walls-streaked gold that one could bet was actually embedded with gold pieces?

The plaque at the front gates had read 'Theerapanyakun'. An ominous foreshadowing. It was a warning to everyone that it held a semblance of prestige, reputation, and wealth. And with such attributes also came power, control, and danger. The burly, gruff looking men with gun holsters at their waistbands, all housed a revolver, more than likely loaded, and gave reason enough to feel tension settle into every fiber of his existence that suddenly seemed very miniscule in comparison.

Despite being a renowned actor on a global platform, excelled in public performances and events that housed up to 300 fans at one time, they all became child's play in the back of Nattawin Wattanagitiphat' s mind. Nothing could possibly compare to the grandeur of his presence being requested by an Anakinn Theerapanyakun, the heir to the Theerapanyakun fortune and practically all of Thailand. Intimidation was the understatement of the century.

He could recollect when the name came across his lap, literally, as his agent dropped his newly printed schedule onto his lap a week prior. They had finished the sixth episode of the 'Dragon Blues' show since its premiere a month ago, Apo had been shuffled to and from events to continue promotion, brand sponsored engagements that took all of his time, and he blinked to notice he was allotted a heavier schedule. It came as a great delight for him, despite the work, as he loved to be able to endorse the hard efforts of his colleagues, the staff of the television show, and unconsciously, himself.

After a rough start to his career all those years prior, a quick stint in New York where he had wanted to take a break and breathe again, Apo returned with the hope to boost back his status in the entertainment industry with this scripted story, auditioned, and the rest was history. If he took a look in the rearview mirror, as often asked during interviews, his only regret had been to never speak up for himself. To be unapologetically Apo. His penned nickname, one that brought great pride in of itself, as he knew its meaning as 'water'. Water was essential, fruitful, and always necessary. He liked to believe that his work made a difference, even infinitesimally, in someone's life.

A voice told him to refocus on the schedule, review it and proceeded to ask questions; accordingly, to which he found more inquiries than answers as a response. Who was Anakinn Theerapanyakun? Why was his name starred under 'Private Meeting with Anakinn Theerapanyakun on Monday?' Apo knew that he had a model event to attend in Singapore on the Sunday prior as he was invited by a well-known magazine brand to join. His attendance would boost numbers and views for the show and of course he wanted to go. But if he had a morning flight, then an afternoon meeting, it really left no time for himself.

It was cutting too close into personal decompressing time: meditation, hydration, rest, and all of it was important to not overexert himself. He mentioned it countless times to the agency and his agent that it was necessary for him to have time in between bookings to handle his affairs and live normally. His agent told him the meeting was a 'non-neg'. Non-negotiable. What power did this mysterious man had that he could manipulate and dictate Apo's schedule so haphazardly and at his leisure? Before Apo could further comment to the situation, his agent just waved his concerns away, shuffled him out of the room to a photoshoot for Dior, and a mental sigh. Another long week ahead. As much as Apo enjoyed being an actor, it came with the consequences and sacrifice of self-care at times, but he had to do what he had to.