Dinner flop

"Mom, can I invite my friends?" Lily, Lorelai's 12-year-old sister, asks her mother.
"Of course, honey."

Taylor: Rory's little sister is a lovely little girl! Her sister would do anything for her, she loves her with all her heart. She was obviously referring to the dinner that will being held that night. Last year it was a big success, or it seemed so, that was the priority of Penelope, Lorelai's mother. The whole house was decorated in white hangings and in the huge dining room they had placed four huge tables, even Ben Gross's parents had been invited...

Rory enters the door with her backpack on her shoulder and hugs her sister who's wearing a classy white and blue dress, apparently she's already ready for the dinner even if there are a couple of hours left. Lorelai can not pretend not to notice the decor of the room "What's going on? The house has turned into a cottage for rent?"

"Everyone is getting ready for dinner," her mother coldly replies, checking her out, "and you should too. Oh and dinner will be held inside but we are preparing refreshments on the rooftop"
This girl's mom has never been a nice lady, and Lorelai fights with her as long as she remembers but at the same time can not deny to love her, she's still her mother.
"Why hasn't dad arrived yet? What happened to him?" the girl asks while pouring a glass of water
"I thought you knew?" sighs the woman
"What?"
"Your dad changed plans. He didn't tell you? He's got a lot of work to do, you know, maybe Robert's keeping him busy too."

"But...he would definitely have called me" she feels like a squeeze on her chest, it had never happened before. For the sisters it was already difficult to see their father because he lives in Canada...
She hurries to check the messages in case he wrote her something but nothing.

"Honey, you know that hard conversations aren't for him." she cuts short, never crossing Lorelai's eyes "Now go and put something more elegant. See, that dress I bought for you just arrived from Paris, I put it on your bed"

Lorelai nods and goes upstairs. "Be nice" adds her mother from downstairs
On her bed she finds a wonderful pearly white dress with lace trim. It is not her style, she doesn't like to dress elegantly, but her mother has an impeccable taste. As young woman she worked for years as model but soon retired because she became pregnant with Lorelai when she was young.

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷
MESSAGES
Devi
Paxton and Trent told me about a party tonight. I'll catch you there?

Lolerai
You do not know how much I would like to but I am confined to a dinner of old rich ladies

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Dinner has just begun and Lorelai is still in her room doing her make up calmly even after receiving several calls from her mother to go downstairs to the dining room.

"Rory, it's me." Lily says knocking at the door
"Lily, come in." she offers a kind smile, her sister reciprocates but it vanishes soon
"You look beautiful in this dress but...I have to tell you something"
"What is it?" Rory asks her to sit with her on the bed.

"Earlier I heard mom on the phone and I think she was talking to dad...she told him not to come because there was no need..."
Lorelai is speechless and dry-mouthed. That's way too much. "I tried to convince her but you know how mom is-"

"Lily, don't worry, it's not your fault." She calms her as she takes her hand, Lorelai actually needs someone to calm her down but two seconds later she's running down the stairs

Taylor: "Please, Rory, I hope you doesn't make a scene in front of everyone."

"Oh here you are!" her mom begins approaching her with a glass of rosé in her hand
"I know you called dad and told him he didn't need to be here." she answers in all sincerity and it is visible the pain in the girl's face
"Lorelai! How could you think that?"
"Stop it, I know you did." she sighs, trying to disguise her broken voice, "You seem to enjoy hurting me." her lip begins to tremble and her eyes burn as she tries to keep the tears at bay, it is not worth it, no more.

"Why don't you accept reality, he left us."
"He left you-"
"Now is not the time for this." Her mother interrupts her by glancing around the room making sure no one has noticed this quarrel. She's really worried about the image others have of her, "Now sit down and eat with us."
"I'm sorry, but not really, I'm not joining you for the dinner." Rory cuts it short and walks away from everything.

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷
MESSAGES
Lorelai
Hey, is the invitation still valid?