Not Every Plan Works Out

Chapter 8;

Not Every Plan Works Out

My feet padded on the cold cement floor as I walked through the door into the training room, unlike when I had been in here yesterday, it was absolutely silent except for the dim murmer of the gamemakers.

They looked up as I walked in, they frowned and looked at some papers, I gulped as I realized they were probably mine.

Seneca nodded to me, signaling me to go forward with my presentation. I nodded back, and walked over to the plant identifier knowing this was my strongest point here.

I switched it on, the plants began flashing before my eyes, my fingers moved at light speed as I identified them quickly.

Sweat perspires on my forehead, as I realize that the patterns are different from last time. The pressure bore into me, I knew the game makers were watching every move I made.

One mistake could make my plan go wrong.

One mistake.

When I finish I step back, looking over my score.

A 99, I glance over my shoulder.

The game makers are looking at me.

I glance back at the screen, what plant had I missed?

....... Nightlock.

I am ready to stab myself. I MISSED NIGHTLOCK OF ALL THINGS?!!! Nightlock was perhaps the most common poison plant! I should of been able to get that!

Ugh.... I couldn't waste time reflecting, I had to keep going.

I moved over to the knives, picking up my throwing knives, that Marvel had taught me to use yeaterday. I felt a little blood run to my cheeks as I selected the one that he had used. I'd start with this one.

I picked it up and aim at the target for a second before flinging it with all my might. The knife pegged itself in the target, a few inches from the bullseye. I picked up another life and flung it, this time it pegged the center, my heart skipped with satisfaction.

I glance over at the gamemakers, they are surprised clearly that I was this good.

I smile, almost. I had always been able to pick things up pretty quickly, a trait I had got from my mother-- my mother.....

It felt like the huge force had hit me all over again.

No.

Not now.

I push the painful memories from my brain as I hurl another knife at the target.

It missed by a mile and I gulped, I had to redeem myself before I could leave though.

I reached for the last knife in the pile, it felt cool and smooth in my fingers as I twirled it a few times before I sent it spinning toward the target.

I heard it thump, but I didn't dare look for a second, terrified it was an awful throw.

I grit my teeth a second before turning my head.

A bullseye.

I let out a long breath as I turned toward the gamemakers, Senica Crane was stroking his beard thoughtfully.

"You are dismissed Miss Sparks." He said lowering his head to mark something on his paper.

"Wait!" I said

His head turned sharply toward me. "What?" His eyes flashed in displeasure- apparently this didn't happen a lot....

"S-sir? Will you give me the training score of a 5?" I felt the words slip off of my tongue quickly, knowing Q would kill me if he ever found out.