Chapter Twelve: The Third Task

24 June 1995

Annabeth stood between Fred and George in the stands as the bond screamed out loud for her to protect Harry. She knew, in the pit of her stomach, that something bad was going to happen that night. Annabeth had tried to get to Dumbledore since morning to warn him when the bond had first come alive, but the twins had kept her occupied all day preparing for their gambling for the Third Task.

Everyone around them cheered and Flitwick conducted a band that was playing a cheery tune. Amos Diggory came running out first, excited, before Cedric came walking out. Amos pointed to his son. Then, came Fleur who was followed by her sister and Madame Maxine. Behind Madame Maxine came Krum with Karkaroff. Dumbledore followed Karkaroff out and Harry came out last. Dumbledore put a reassuring hand on Harry's shoulder. Harry looked around at the crowd. From where Annabeth stood, she could see how nervous he was.

Dumbledore motioned Harry over to stand alone before Dumbledore followed to stand on his podium. Dumbledore used the Amplifying Charm to be heard. "Silence!" The music ended and everyone stopped cheering and sat down. "Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr. Diggory—" The Hufflepuffs cut him off with a cheer. Amos raised his son's arm, but Cedric pulled it down. "And Mr. Potter." That time Dumbledore stopped for the Gryffindors to cheer, Fred and George among them. Annabeth stood and clapped but didn't cheer because she was worried beyond compare. "Are tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr. Krum—" The Durmstrang students stood and cheered, cutting the Hogwarts Headmaster off. "And then, Miss Delacour." Annabeth spied Moody coming out of the maze. Suddenly, Annabeth's bad feeling got worse. There wasn't many cheers for Fleur. "The first person to touch the cup will be the winner!" Everyone in the stands cheered but Annabeth it seemed. "I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, so at any point if a contestant wishes to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wand. Contestants! Gather around. Quickly!" Dumbledore turned and gathered the Champions in a circle. He had his arms on Fleur and Krum, but Annabeth couldn't hear what he told them. After talking to them, the Hogwarts Headmaster walked past them. "Champions! Prepare yourselves!" As each Champion walked to their respective entrance, the crowd stood and cheered. Harry stood by Mad-Eye. The sight of the man who had always been a comfort to Annabeth now watching over her cousin suddenly didn't sit well with Annabeth. If anything, something was telling her not to let him near Harry. She watched as Amos hugged Cedric. Then, saw as Cedric and Harry nodded to each other in respect. "On the count of three. One—" But Filch shot the canon off on one, and then just shrugged at Dumbledore. Annabeth swore she saw Dumbledore roll his eyes as he looked around, done with the Caretaker.

Mad-Eye gave Harry a reassuring pat on the shoulder before Harry entered the maze. Annabeth stared at her cousin as the maze sealed itself up. Annabeth had one last thought as Harry started the Third and Final Task. I'm sorry if I failed you, Harry.

------

Annabeth sat waiting impatiently in the dark with the twins for Harry to return. Cedric hadn't come back either. Fleur and Krum were back already. Krum had been taken to the Hospital Wing after being cursed in the maze while Fleur sat on the field while her friends flocked around her with her sister and Madame Maxine there too. Suddenly, Harry and Cedric landed on the field. But the bond didn't die down even as cheers erupted around Annabeth.

She made to run to Harry, but Fred pulled her back. "Stay here."

"Everything's fine." George assured her.

"No, it's not! Out of my way!" Annabeth actually shoved George to the side and walked past him.

"Annabeth!"