CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO.

"I thought I might find you here."

Jack looked up from where he was curled up in the library against the wall between the bookshelves to find Tiberius smiling softly at him, his arms crossed.

"Hey," Jack murmured out of the corner of his lips, returning his focus to the book in his hands. As they were in Crescent Castle, Jack had a hard time finding history books on anything but the werewolves. Even the book he read now on elven history was a thin, tattered paperback copy, and Jack couldn't help but feel that he was grasping at straws.

"We promised not to let each other wake up alone anymore," Tiberius said, no anger in his voice or expression as he squeezed in beside Jack and cupped his ear, massaging his temple with his thumb. Jack had no idea how bad his headache had gotten until that moment, and he hissed at the pressure, dropping his book. He clutched Tiberius's wrist, eyes shut.

"I'm sorry," Tiberius murmured, but Jack shook his head, his clenched jaw only loosening as he tugged on Tiberius's arm and let himself rest his head on his shoulder. Tiberius's arm came around him, securing him against him.

"I'm the one who's sorry, baby," Jack groaned. After Tiberius's heat had ended last night and he'd fucked Jack long and hard enough to finally fall asleep, Jack tried to follow in his lead, but an hour later, he was still staring up at the ceiling of their fourposter bed, trying to calm his messy thoughts. Three days was all he had, he and Everett were supposed to try to call the Shadow Wolf today, Everett was spending whatever time he could with Mira in case something went wrong, and Jack didn't feel prepared for any of it.

It was maddening.

"I've been trying to get ready," he said, his heart finally soothed at being engulfed in Tiberius's pine scent. He turned his face into his shoulder and breathed in. On a yawn, he finished, "I have until tomorrow to find the missing piece the Shadow Wolf was talking about."

"And?"

"And now"—Jack said, his eyes still closed—"I can see the Elven Mountain borders behind my eyelids, and . . . that's about it." He paused. "You ready for him today?"

Tiberius did not need to be told who to know that Jack was referring to his own meeting with the Shadow Wolf. "No. You?"

"Not even a little." He groaned, pressing the backs of his hands to his eyes. "I hate this," he confessed. "I hate suspecting friends, I hate what getting close to Isaac did to me."

"Isaac tricked all of us, Jack," Tiberius said. "You had only just arrived near the end of his plans, you were . . . upset," he said quietly, "and even his own twin was never completely sure of what he was up to."

"But that's the thing, Tiberius," Jack said. "After Isaac, I realized I'm not the great judge of character I'd always thought I was." He pinched the bridge of his nose. "He wasn't just some suspect in a long list, he was my friend. I was so careful about not getting too close to you that I missed the mark right in front of me. And now . . . now I have to wonder if the suspects are everywhere and I just refuse to see it."

He slumped, letting his head fall onto Tiberius's lap instead. "Caring is so inconvenient. It was so much easier when I could just jump into things without worrying about everyone else." He sighed. "But it was also the loneliest I'd ever been, and I wouldn't give you up for anything, so if I have to come close to a panic attack every time someone I love is at risk, so be it. Your love is worth it."

Tiberius smiled down at him. "And your love is worth anything," he said, and bent down just long enough to kiss Jack's brow. "I wish you'd woken me," he reached for the book Jack had dropped. "I could've helped you."