CHAPTER SIX.

Violet led them down the hall to the backdoor that opened up onto a porch, and Jack had to actively remind himself that they were still in Crowswood because the Damned Quarter looked like a storybook town right out of Scotland. A cobblestone road twisted into a neighborhood of townhouses where glittering colored smoke wafted from windows, a witch levitated her clothes onto laundry lines, an old wizard had brass hummingbirds hovering around him, and lanterns along the road cast a golden glow over strawberry and blueberry bushes.

Everett gasped at the sight, but Mira's eyes were aimed lower.

"Hello," she said, for on the back porch sat a girl with another mason jar in her hands and a white flame at the tips of her fingers.

She blinked up at them with brown eyes, and the fire went out. She set the jar down and stood, curtseying to Violet with a murmured, "My lady," before returning her attention to the others.

"Everyone," Violet smiled, "I'd like you to meet my apprentice, Marie Petalsworth."

She did another little curtsey in respect and tucked a stray brown curl behind her ear.

"Marie, this is Graham Millen, King Tiberius's sergeant, Everett Mallows, Mira Craft, Wyatt Haven, and—"

"Jack Hunter," Marie finished, curtseying for a third time to Jack. "Of course I remember you, Your Highness. You stopped what would've been a terrible war before it started. I owe you my life."

"You . . . do?"

"Yes," she said fiercely. "You saved our Lady Witch."

"Uh . . ." Jack looked to an amused Violet for help, and she put a hand on Marie's shoulder.

"Marie, would you please take Jack's friends into the kitchen for some tea? We'll be there in a minute."

"Yes, my lady. This way, please."

Without a moment's pause, Marie carried the mason jar back inside and the others followed, Wyatt asking, "So if the fire's white, is it hot or cold?"

"Fire's hot, sir."

"Ooh, sir, I like the sound of that!"

"Shut up, Haven," Graham heaved.

"Come on, Everett," Mira tugged on Everett's arm, but he seemed hesitant to leave Jack alone.

"Go," Jack told him, patting his arm. "I'm fine."

Everett still looked uncertain, but he let Mira pull him away. Violet tilted her head. "Let's go speak in my office."

And she took him upstairs to a narrow room with a lit fireplace, and a table against the far wall littered in bottles, parchment, and quills. It sat next to a bookshelf with volumes so big and old that Jack feared breathing in their direction. The room smelled like flowers, owing to the fresh and dried wildflowers sitting in vases on the mantel. There was a rustled blanket on the sofa next to the fire.

"Probably a hypocritical question," Jack said, taking in the many opened books on the table, "but have you been sleeping at all?"

Violet chuckled. "I'm sure as much as Tiberius has. I assume this is about his visits?"

Jack had suspected this was where Tiberius was coming in the middle of the night, but hearing the confirmation still had his heart sinking into his stomach. He rubbed his chest again.

Violet must've read his mind because as she came around her desk, she said, "It's not what you think, Jack."

"Well," Jack sighed, "I think Tiberius has been coming here to discuss the letters that've been coming to the castle and what they might mean because he doesn't want me knowing about them."