CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.

"I resent that title," Quartz said, not really seeming bothered.

"Oh, do you?" Graham said dryly.

"It's a silly little joke my friends started," he told Jack dismissively, "I assure you."

Jack glanced at Tiberius, silently asking if he was being serious, and Tiberius gave a small shake of his head. His message was clear; Don't trust a word he says.

Awesome. So this was the night they were about to have.

"This is going swimmingly," Wyatt whispered to Jack, "don't you think?"

"Wyatt," Tiberius said without taking his eyes off Quartz, "please send word for the Lady Witch and Elder Elf, let them know Prince Quartz has come to Crescent Castle."

Jack and Wyatt shared a quick look. The only reason Tiberius would send someone else—scratch that; the only reason he would take a chance on Wyatt taking care of something as important as summoning Violet and Ender—was because he wanted Graham, his sergeant, at their side. Which meant that however civil Tiberius wanted to be, he clearly saw Quartz as some kind of threat. At least a threat to Jack.

Either way, Wyatt perked at the very important order. "Yes, My King!"

Jack caught his arm and leaned in close to murmur, "And when you get back, send Everett down."

Wyatt winked, and ran off. Tiberius gave the barest sigh that only Jack could hear, mentally bracing himself for the meeting ahead, no doubt, and held an arm up towards the dining room doors.

"Please," he said. "After you."

"Hailwind's still around?" Quartz's smile softened as he hovered inches above the armchair, legs crossed. "That's nice, I miss her."

Jack accepted the cup of tea from the maidservant with a murmured thank you. "You know Violet?"

"Of course," he shrugged. "I mean, about as well as any prince can know the leader of the witches. She's a tough one though. I think her long life has made her distant to anyone but the witches. It's fine, immortality affects everyone differently."

Jack straightened, not terribly fond of the way the fairy prince was describing his friend. "Actually, Violet's one of first people that helped me when I got here."

Quartz's eyes lit. "Helped you do what, exactly?" He asked like he knew Jack had been trying to escape Crowswood, but that wasn't possible. Jack hadn't met or even heard of him until today.

"Adjust," he said, because it was a sort of truth, wasn't it? Jack had met Violet after literally running into her while escaping from wolves set out to kill him. If not for her kindness, he wouldn't have had the strength to deal with the days that followed.

"Is there a particular reason you're here, Prince Quartz?" Tiberius asked, his impatience showing in the tick of his jaw.

Quartz raised a brow. "Oh I'm sorry, did the evil earthquake monster disappear already? You guys certainly work fast."

"That meeting was two days ago," Graham said with narrowed eyes. "You're just showing up now?"

"Excuse me, Mr. Millen," Quartz tilted his head, "but some of us are working on a little bit more than a wedding right now. Congratulations, by the way."