Tragic Reunion

Meanwhile back on the ocean, Brandy was still sleeping in the boat, ignoring the bright hot sunshine. Everything was normal until a blue humpback whale, who was swimming nearby, puffed water out of his blowhole. It sprouted up in the air and landed on Brandy's head. She woke up with a screech. "I'm going to get whoever threw water in my face and throw him or her into the ocean!" 

"Unfortunately, I live in the ocean, little doggie," the whale replied. 

"Who said that?" 

"Over here, at three o clock."

Brandy turned to the right and noticed the humpback whale, with his head sticking out of the water, waving his right fin. Brandy was surprised. "Wow, just when I thought things couldn't get any crazier." She thought. 

"Hello little doggie, I'm Jonah. What's your name and what are you doing here all by yourself?"

"First of all, don't call me 'little doggie' ever again. Second, I'm Brandy; Brandy Harrington of the Florida Harringtons. Perhaps you've heard of them?"

"Um, this is actually the first time I meet you."

"I thought not. And third of all, it's a long story so I'll cut to the chase." 

After explaining what happened back on the island, while simplifying the long history of being marooned in the Amazon Rainforest. She expected Jonah to be angry, but to her surprise, he was understanding. "I feel for you, Brandy. I don't think I could ever fight for a lost cause," he replied. "Well, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you make it back to Florida."

Before Jonah turned to swim away, Brandy stopped him. "JONAH, WAIT!" she screamed. "The ocean is like an endless field, and I don't have a compass! Could you possibly take me there to Florida?"

"Look ma'am," Jonah replied as his smile disappeared. "I would love to help you out. But I'm trying to be more wary of my surroundings and with news I've hearing of whales getting beaching and exploding. I don't want to risk my life for that."

"Please, I'm begging you, I can't do this alone! My parents have been trying to find me for so long." Brandy began to cry. "They may have forgotten about me, but I want to see them before it's too late."

Jonah stroked his chin for a couple minutes. He really did not want to swim all the way to Florida and risk getting beached. But leaving a dog, stranded in the ocean; he knew that he would never live with himself. Finally, he made his decision. "All right, stop your crying," Jonah replied. "I'll take you to Florida. But when we get close to shore, you're on your own. You understand."

"I'll take it."

Brandy reached under her seat and grabbed a strong rope. She tossed straight to Jonah, who caught with his mouth. "Now hold on tight!" Jonah said. "This is going to be super-fast. Ready?"

"READY!"

Jonah, still holding the rope in his mouth, dove a bit into the ocean and swam forward, pulling the boat with Brandy. The boat moved with ton of force that Brandy nearly fell out. She managed to grab on the edges of the boat and hold on as tight as she could.

A few hours later, Jonah and Brandy reached the coastline, the whale let go of the rope. "This is where I drop you now. It was a pleasure meeting you, Brandy Harrington. Good luck finding your family."

"Thank you!" Brandy called as the whale swan away. She pulled the rope back into the boat and grabbed some binoculars. Looking through them, she saw some locations, both familiar and unfamiliar; a deserted beach, a boardwalk, beach houses, some humans walking around downtown. Brandy's heart starting racing as she started looking any Welcome to Florida signs. She needed to confirm that the location she saw was actually Florida. After one minute of searching, she found one near the downtown street. 

She dropped the binoculars and picked the oars that were lying on the boat's deck. She immediately rowed as fast as she could. As she got closer, she began hearing a voice; it was Whisker's voice. Brandy was remembering why he told her before she escaped. She began to get worried and afraid. "What if Whiskers is right?" she thought. "But I have too. There's no way my family would forget about me. They have to take me back."

The voice stopped as Brandy's boat hit the sand. She hopped out and pulled the boat away from the water and onto the sand, so the tide would not take it away. Then she removed her suitcase from the boat and proceeded on foot to find her family. After trudging up the sandy hill, she entered through downtown without any clue where to go. She knew she was searching for her family, but she had no idea where they lived. 

She continued to walk until she heard voices coming from the alleyway. "What a second," Brandy thought. "It that?" She ran to the two buildings and looked through the alleyway; it was Brandy's parents! They were actually a man and a woman in the distance so she could not see them up close. But she could recognize their voices. 

Before she could approach them, the man said, "Honey I got a surprise for you." He handed her a present and the wife opened it fast. It was a dog that closely resembled to Brandy. Brandy's happy face slowly turned shocked. Why was there another dog with Brandy's parents?

"Oh honey, she's beautiful," the wife replied. "She reminds me of Brandy." 

"What don't you name her that?"

"Yes, I will. And she's going to be the better child than that other dog was."

"For once, I agree with you. Brandy only seemed to be there when we spoiled her, but she never comforted us. This is going to be difficult."

Brandy's mouth hung open as the parents walked away. Was she really no longer a Harrington? Rather than following them, she ran back to the beach and cried. Perhaps Whiskers and Lola were right. Maybe Brandy's family had forgotten about her and there's a difference between saving and being there. 

Then Brandy began to think of the good times she had in the Amazon. Sure, there were some bad days. But the good ones overshadowed them. She thought about Whiskers. He could be annoying and gross. But he had a good heart.

Realizing how much she meant to Whiskers, she decided to return to Amazon for good. She ran to the boat and pushed it in the water. "Hang on Whiskers. I'm coming to save you...again." she thought. She had a feeling that he, Lola, Ed and the other may be in trouble.