This Is It

"Let's see, shall we," Mr. Whiskers said holding up the sign. "It says Cau- Cau-tiiiiiieeeeee-onnnn! Airrrrrrrrrrr Under Construc-tion. Wow Cautieon! Air Under Construction. That sounds weirds, why would air be construction? You feel it the entire time twenty-four seven, three sixty-five. You-" "Give me that, you dumb bunny." Brandy said as she snatched the sign away from Whiskers. After reading it more carefully she said, "It says, Caution! Area Under Construction."

"Oh, That makes sense." Lola replied. "What area is construction?" 

"Gee I'm no expert," Ed said. "But if my hutch is correct, the Amazon Rainforest might be losing trees to make room for houses or oil or-"

"WHAT!" Brandy, Whiskers, and Lola screamed in unison. Did they just hear with their own ears that the Amazon Rainforest could be losing trees? Could there be construction workers in the Amazon? The sign could be evidence of this.

"I wonder if this is going to be a Save The Environment episode?" Whiskers said. "They're hit and miss, mostly miss. But if it is count me in!" 

"Zip it, fuzzy," Brandy said. "We don't know if anything is under construction. Somebody must have littered this sign by accident or on purpose. No need to get worried."

"I kinda am Brandy," Lola replied. "Remember when you nearly rammed a tree with a bulldozer that Whiskers was protecting? We still have no idea how-"

Brandy screeched at the top of the lungs. "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU REMEMBER ALL THE TROUBLE I CAUSED AND YOU WON'T FORGET ABOUT IT! I'M SICK OF THIS! YOU SELFISH, UNGRATEFUL SERPENT!"

"Excuse me?" 

Brandy began shoving the sign in Lola's face aggressively. "I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOUR LECTURES, I'VE HAVE IT WITH YOUR LESSONS, AND I'VE HAVE IT WITH YOU," screamed Brandy. You sometimes give me a headache-"

Lola, frightened by Brandy's aggressiveness, just snapped and bit Brandy on the arm with her left arm. Brandy screamed and ran with the constrictor still attached to her arm, around Whiskers and Ed in circles. The rabbit and otter turned their heads back and forth as the dog continued to run circles around them with Lola latched on her arm. 

Finally, Lola opened her mouth and released her grip from Brandy's arm, falling onto the sand. Brandy stopped running and grimaced in pain as she clutched her arm, now throbbing and bleeding from the bite. At least boa constrictors like Lola Boa were non-venomous. Brandy looked in shock at the dripping red bite marks. 

Staring at Lola Boa in disbelief who was also staring her, she just turned and ran away. "Brandy! Lola called out, "Brandy! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!" Brandy wasn't listening to her and disappeared into the woods. Lola stared back at Whiskers and Ed and immediately slithered away as fast as she could.

"So is fun time over, Mr. Whiskers?" Ed asked. Whiskers couldn't believe it his "best friend" was bitten by her friend; though he wasn't sure whose fault it was. "Yes, it is Ed," Mr. Whiskers replied. "The sandcastle's going to have to wait. You go after Lola, I'm going after Brandy." They shook hands and departed. "Oh and thanks for saving me Ed." Whiskers added. Ed smiled and nodded.

Ed ran right toward the long curvy line Lola left off while Whiskers (after picking up the sign Brandy dropped) followed Brandy into the woods. He dashed through the trees, following footprints and droplets of bloods. As he continued on, he grew extremely nervous; blood attracts predators. What if pumas, ocelots, or jaguars got Brandy? Not taking any chances, he dove into a nearby bush. Peeking through, he kept still and uttered no word. Yet nothing. 

Confused, Whiskers still wearing the bush, continued onward. Something seemed off about this part of the rainforest he was in; there was no sound. There were no birds, nor insects chirping. Some of the trees, which moved stood really still. Whiskers did not like it, not one bit. "HELLO!" Whiskers hollered out. "ANYBODY THERE?! HELLO!?" There was no answer, Whiskers was dumbfounded. He called out again and again. Still not answer.  It was like most if not all the animals were gone.

Then something else caught his eye; along the path of Brandy's footprints was a set of long tracks. They were huge lines, heading in the opposite direction of Brandy. Whiskers thought about this. Should he continue to follow Brandy, or should he investigate the other tracks? 

"Just follow the tracks," a Yiddish voice spoke. 

"Huh? Who said that?" Whiskers asked.

Suddenly something popped out of Whiskers's left ear; it was his brain. "Me, you fool. Follow those tracks, could be something interesting."

"But what about Brandy?"

"She can wait. She probably needs some alone time. Just trust your brain for once. Maybe's it's something good or bad."

"Fine, I'll go."

So Brain went back into Whiskers's ear and Whiskers deviated from Brandy's path and continued forward to the tracks. As he moved forward deeper, he entered into a part of the forest which was familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.  Some of the trees were knocked down, leaving only stumps. There were still wood chips left behind and it there was a weird smell.

"Funny it smells like...oil?" Whiskers thought. "I hope this is not going where I think it's going." Whiskers pulled the construction caution sign out of swimsuit and looked at it. Whiskers continued deeper and deeper until he heard voices chattering except these were different ones. He tucked the sign back into his suit and crawled through the bushes. At last, he saw some light through them. 

Whiskers peeked through them and what he saw was a massive surprise. The forest was filled with people with hard hats, orange and black vests, jeans, and work boots. They were construction workers! HUMAN Construction Workers! They were cutting and sawing through wood and nailing and screwing it. Then Whiskers heard some rumbling and looked to his right; in came a bulldozer. He took a closer look at it. Yes it was!

"SWEET METALMONSTRO! THIS IS IT! THIS WAS IN MY NIGHTMARE! IT WAS WARNING ME ABOUT DEFORESTATION! NOWS IT'S ALL COMING TRUE!" 

Whiskers watched in horror as the bulldozer pushed down a tree with no effort. Suddenly Whiskers heard some cries, "HELP! HELP US!"