Chapter 9

(Colosseum's Locker rooms)

Inside, Mercury and Emerald are prepping their gears while, Cinder typing down whatever it is on her scroll. Mercury let out a groan in annoyance.

Mercury: "Do we really have to go first, Cinder?"

Cinder glances back at the annoyed Mercury as Emerald stare daggers at him for complaining to her. Cinder offers a smile in return.

Cinder: "Not to worry, Mercury. This match is something you and Emerald will handle fairly well."

Emerald quickly gets from her spot, now facing Cinder with a genuine smile.

Emerald: "If you think we can handle it, then we'll do it."

Mercury chuckles at her words.

Mercury: "Heh, yeah, 'we'."

The green-haired girl looks back at him to stare daggers once more only for Cinder to reply.

Cinder: "Good. Have fun in your match you two."

(A Little Timeskip)

As the crowd wait patiently for the combatants come over to the arena, Y/N and Ruby sat beside Velvet and Fox, with the rest of Team RWBY+Y/N sitting on the other side with Team JNPR. Ruby turns her attention to Y/N.

Ruby: "Who're you rooting for Y/N? Coco's team or Emerald's?"

Y/N just shrugs.

Y/N: "I don't know, honestly, they're all friends of mine so I'm not really picking a side."

Ruby: "Like with that 3-legged race?"

Y/N: "Okay. That was different."

Velvet: "Coco and Yatsu got this in the bag!"

Fox: "They've worked themselves really hard this year."

Y/N: "Too bad you couldn't go into 2v2 round, Fox."

Fox: "Eh, don't worry about it."

Eventually, Coco and Yatsu along with Emerald and Mercury arrive and now standing in the center of the arena.

Once the two upperclassmen are defeated, the crowd loudly cheer and boo as the two announcers speak up.

Port: "Coco and Yatsuhashi are defeated!"

Oobleck: "And with an amazing upset, Emerald and Mercury are victorious!"

Visibly upset, Velvet place a hand over her mouth.

Velvet: "Coco...?"

Fox then places a comforting hand on her shoulder. While Y/N, Ruby, and the others look into the arena, none of them notice Cinder, sitting a seat behind them, smiling before getting up from her seat and walking away amid the combined cheers and boos from the crowds. After a moment of pause, Fox and Velvet both got up from their seat and walks off.

Y/N: "Where are you guys going?"

Velvet glances back at Y/N and the others.

Velvet: "We've got to check up on them, they seem seriously hurt."

Ruby: "We can go with you guys."

Velvet: "Thanks for the concern, guys but, we'll handle it. Sorry."

Y/N: "It's fine."