Confirmation (WattpadDarkFantasy Prompt)

Sleep had come easily enough, but the nightmares had caused me to toss and turn during the days of sleep that my body needed to recoup. My shoulder blades ached, and I now sat with my head cradled between my legs. My mind raced as I began to examine my freshly washed skin.

Bruises and scabbing scars coated every inch of my body. In one year, I had gone from a guardian to a broken creature. The fears I had hidden so long ago became prominent as I realized the truth in them. I was indeed the exception to the rule.

"A guardian," I laughed. The hollowness of the laugh dripped with a deep sadness. "Who was I kidding?" I cried to myself.

It was at that moment that a knock sounded at my door.

I swiped at the tears that had formed and opened it to find Lucinda holding a tray of bacon and toast, and a smile.

I offered one in return and asked her in as I sat the tray on the side table. I grabbed a piece of bacon and began nibbling on it.

She went through the usual pleasantries and check-ins as I nodded and replied in short answers.

Her hand rested on my knee, "we have a way to set everything right."

She saw the question in my eyes, "Now that we've released some of the creatures Jarvina kept hidden, I've been able to pull together a team that can bring forth a protector."

"A protector?" I inquired.

"There is a spell," she spoke softly, "that when performed at the edges of the world, will release the ultimate protector from its sleep."

I gulped as that idea settled into my chest, and I realized that this just confirmed my fear even more. There was someone else meant to guard the universe. I was the exception.

"What do you need from me?" I finally asked.

"Well, we could always use some magical muscle to protect us."

I laughed, "When do we leave?"

...

A few days later, Lucinda's group of mysterious crewmates had assembled. I was shaken by the talent but was dumbfounded at one of the creature's abilities to transport the entire crew to a dark realm. As if falling through another portal, we were whisked away and planted firmly at an eerie location. There was nothing for miles, accept a single mountain.

As Lucinda's crew formed at the mouth of the cave, I painfully sprouted my wings and flew through the air, ready to fight to help them.

However, I was not expecting to find a monstrous creature appearing from the mouth of the cave. As the crew got on their knees to bow down, a searing pain erupted through my brain. Images flashed through my brain. Memories. But not my own. A creature of similar stature haunted these visions of massacre. I gasped as a scream ripped through the sky. I forced myself to focus and draw back into reality.

The clarity was wonky, but I forced myself to fly towards the sound. As I came closer, I could start to make out the creature, and began hurling elemental forces at it in constant repetition.

My vision cleared just as I saw the creature attack its final victim. Its firm grip was resistant to her spells, and I choked at the sight of the other's bodies crumpled on the ground. The creature was squeezing her, and I rushed forward. Winding my hands together I willed myself to create an elemental bomb. I dropped my wings and came crashing down on the creature's back, shoving my forces into the opening that appeared to be its mouth.

It chomped down as I retracted my arm and let the forces go. They imploded the creature, who's mangled frame fell forward, no longer moving.

As I rolled off it's back, I brought myself up on my knees and looked around.

Everyone was gone. Every one of their forms, lifeless before me.

I had let this happen. I had failed to protect them. It was too late. Again, it had been confirmed. I was not the guardian the sphinx had meant to choose. I was just a woman. A misshapen hunk of human. Half-human? The non-guardian who failed mankind at every step, Karasi of Pelnora.