Sight (Magic Prompt)

Within a few years, the Elementals felt they had taught me everything they knew. So, Thamlu took me aside and we spoke of what was expected of me going forward. It was time for me to venture back into the world and bring forth any other knowledge the universe had to offer.

Several weeks later I left the ashram, on the next stage of my journey. Unsure where to start, I decided I wanted to check in on my hometown and neighbors but did not know how to get there. When I came to the first village in my journey, I came across an old man who gave me the directions.

I offered him some coins for his kindness. However, he would only accept it if he could give me a tattoo. I excitedly accepted.

At his home, he introduced me to his imaginary wife, Pearlita, and even appeared to use magic to make it seem as though she were there. I felt sorry for the old man and decided to entertain the idea by nodding in her direction. With the impeccable shape of his home and the beautiful artwork that lay strewn about his worktable, I figured his work was still trustworthy.

When I described the sphynx I wanted on my back, I fell in love with his concept sketches. He pinned my shirt, had me straddle the chair, and prepared my skin with gloved hands.

As he turned to grab his needle, his elbow gently grazed my skin, and I watched jerk back. He stared at me with a curious expression and then mumbled to himself. Looking to his left he shook his head and then proceeded to apologize for his fumbling.

Before he started the inking process, I noticed he hovered over his needle and then excused himself. When he returned, he held an intricately designed tattoo gun. I told him he didn't have to do anything special. But he quickly reassured me that he rarely had such a kind customer and wished only to use the best. Throughout the process he continued to mutter to himself, but also joined in with the story telling I had started while we sat there. As we continued sharing, I found my eyes getting heavy.

...

My eyes tugged awake. In my grogginess, I could feel drool pooling on the soft cushion below my head. I tried to sit up, but the motion made my eyes swim. As I laid my back against the back of the couch I was on, I felt a twinge of pain at the rawness of my back. I sat up quickly and let my eyes focus. As I looked around the room, I small, older woman sat near the tattooist's desk. I tried to stand, but bumped my knee on the coffee table, jostling a vase that almost tattered sideways before I caught it. But the thud and start of clanking was enough to draw the woman's attention.

She turned to me and smiled brightly, "Hello dear. Care for some strawberry strudel or a candied bacon muffin?"

I faltered, rubbing my knee, "I'm okay thanks. Sorry, where's Ernest?"

She jumped from the stool and waddled over to me, taking a seat in a chair near me. "Oh, he's taking his afternoon nap."

"This late at nig-?" I began to ask before noticing the natural light pouring into the room.

"Oh, yes. Sorry dear. You fell asleep while he finished your tattoo and since you paid such a pretty penny, we thought it only right that we let you rest up here." She answered my confusion.

"Sorry, I'm usually a pretty early riser," I offered in explanation.

"No need to apologize dear. Such a beautiful piece takes time and with the amount of traveling you've been doing; it only makes since that you needed some good rest."

When I finally sat down, I stared at her for a moment and then shook my head, "Sorry, who are you, by the way?"

The woman scooped a jug of water up and poured some into a glass. She handed it to me, "I'm Pearlita, Ernest's wife."

I gratefully took the cup from her, nodding. But as I rose it to my lips, I paused, "Were you here last night?"

She looked shocked before relaxing into a giggle, "Do you remember you and Ernest sharing stories last night?"

I nodded.

"Well, I guess you were a bit too tired to realize that his story about magic tattoos was really about his own ability," she spoke slowly.

My face twitched for a moment, "What are you saying? Ernest gave me a magic tattoo?"

She spoke calmly, "Yes dear. Ernest can read skin. He's tried not to do it for so long, but when his elbow accidentally touched your skin, he read you like a book. And he knew that with your predicament, it might be worthwhile to give you some sight as well. So, that special gun of his allowed him to grant you the power to see things that you wouldn't be able to see otherwise."

My jaw had slightly dropped, as she continued.

"I'm a pixie, the tattoo is what allows you to see me." She fidgeted with her necklace. Then added, "Of course, he is used to people thinking he is crazy. He knew you acknowledged me out of politeness and then proceeded to continue humoring and treating him as if nothing was abnormal about him. That reassured him that you could be trusted with such an ability. As it is, there are many who have this sight and use it for evil acts."

A voice interrupted, "Maybe I just wanted to show you off."

I turned to see Ernest in the doorway of their bedroom, smiling.

For better or worse, when I finally arrived in Pelnora a few weeks later, it was with a fresh pair of eyes.