15 • Familia

The walk down the stairs was probably one of the worst experiences Ivana ever went through, her hands were shaking intensely, her body ran cold, her brain couldn't function properly. All of this because she was meeting his mother.

Leo noticed this and he placed his hand on her shoulder, a show of support. He understood what it felt like, the same feeling he had before ever single game he ever played, the feeling of not being enough.

To her contrast though he knew that his mother would absolutely love Ivana, she always welcomed everyone and with Ivana being herself she was a lovely person, anyone would get along with her.

Once they reached the kitchen the smell of food surrounded them, they both realized how hungry they actually were. Celia was chatting with Pablo and they seemed to be getting along well.

"Morning ma" Leo said taking a seat on a stool that faced the kitchen.

"Good morning Leo, and Good Morning to you," She turned to face Ivana with a smile on her face "you must be Ivana, I'm Celia. It's a pleasure to meet you. As much as I'd like to say I've heard so much about you I cannot, Leo wouldn't even tell me anything but your name!" The older woman laughed slapping her son on the shoulder playfully.

"Ma" The Argentine groaned.

"It's a pleasure as well," Ivana laughed nervously "I couldn't expect anything less from Leo, it's hard to get any information out of him" She joked.

"That's my son"

A few minutes later Leo's father joined them and he had the same warm welcome as his mother. In the little time she had spent with the Messi's she already loved them.

"How are you liking Argentina so far?" This time it was Jorge who spoke, apparently the family wanted to know as much information as possible about Ivana.

"It's really nice, although I haven't had much time to look around," She smiled nervously. "but this week we'll be going all around. Next is Cordóba."

"That's great!" Celia smiled, her eyes catching something by the stairs.

"Guess who's up?" A woman came down the stairs with a little kid she recognized as Thiago, she had a certain similarity to the others, "Oh, I didn't realize we had guests. Hi I'm Maria Sol, Leo's older sister." she smiled.

"Ivana Casey" She stuck her hand out but after putting Thiago down the older woman wrapped her into a hug.

"Oh it's so nice to finally meet you!" She gushed "I have heard so much about you!"

"What is the meaning of this Leo?" His mother asked apparently offended.

"Sorry ma' Leito here confides in his sister more than his own mother" She laughs receiving a playful smack on the shoulder from her mom.

While all of this was going down Leo tried to hide his flushed cheeks after his sister exposed him like that, although it was no use because of his skin color, the red overtook and it was highly noticeable.

"Now Leo, I didn't mean to make you blush" Maria Sol laughed.

"Papi" A small voice gained the attention of all the people in the room, Thiago was calling for his father.

"What's up champ?" The number 10 lifted his son from the ground and into the air.

"Food"

Leo chuckled. "Okay, come on your grandma prepared you some delicious food"

As they all sat down to eat the questions kept up, now focusing more on her and Pablo's career, what they would be doing in the future, that kind of talk. The family also mentioned their accent, since Pablo and Ivana were both native to Spain they had the accent, and it was quite noticeable, considering the contrast of theirs.

"I still can't get used to it," Leo's sister laughed. "it's like adorable but hilarious at the same time!"

"Yeah, we've been getting that a lot this past month" Pablo mentioned, he thought that staying with the Messi family would be some kind of uncomfortable but it was the exact opposite, they were so nice and hospitable that he felt right at home.

After everyone finished up they each went their separate ways, since they didn't have to go interview anyone for at least a few hours Ivana decided to go outside and rest. The backyard looked rather appealing so she headed that way.

Taking a seat on one of the lounge chairs that was found there she closed her eyes. Ivana thought about her family back in Spain. It had been a considerable amount of time since she'd properly visited them since they lived in Seville, and she lived in Barcelona. She thought about how Leo was so family-centered, and it was warmed her heart, of course she loved her family but their connection wasn't like his. Oh how she wished that in her younger years her parents had shown the kind of love that most do, she experienced tough love, it wasn't bad but they weren't publicly affectionate, or even at all. Her heart longed for that feeling, the feeling of belonging, the feeling of being held by what you know and trust.

Her mind kept wondering until a voice popped her out of the bubble. "I thought you'd want to meet Thiago in person."

In front of her was Leo, with Thiago in hand. The smaller child grinning from ear to ear.

"Of course! Hola Thiago. Remember me?" She sat up straighter, a smiled painted on her lips.

"Si!" He clapped his two hands and then leaned forward, signaling that he wanted her to carry him.

"Can I?" She asked cautiously, she knew a lot of people weren't comfortable with other carrying their children, especially if they weren't part of the family. Ivana didn't want to step over any boundaries.

"Of course" He said straight away, as if that was the dumbest question ever. Thinking about it, it probably was. They had been getting close for the past 6 months or so, it would be unnatural to not have that kind of trust.

Once she held a small Thiago in her hands she felt complete. As if that child had done something and now she was fine, all her previous thoughts washed away. She knew she was exactly were she wanted to be.

Ivana spent the rest of the time before she had to leave for interviews hanging out with Lionel and Thiago, something deep inside her made it feel as if they were a family.

After the days work was over Celia called Ivana into the living room, it was empty besides them and that freaked her out a little.

"I wanted to talk." Celia said, once she noticed Ivana's concerned face she broke into a smile. "Nothing to worry about, It's just a friendly conversation!"

"Oh," The Spanish woman chuckled "sorry, just a little nervous"

"It's fine. All I wanted to say is that you and Lionel make a lovely couple." The older woman smiled and her wrinkles were visible.

"Oh, no- we're not." God how do I say this "We aren't together." Ivana laughed, she was in an uncomfortable situation. It was odd.

"I know darling." Celia seemed sympathetic. "Whenever Leo grows the balls to ask, you will be. I can already see the connection."

"Oh." Was all she said. Ivana didn't really know how he felt about her but she was sure he didn't like her that much. The kiss was just a kiss. People kiss their friends, right?

"Don't worry." Celia chuckled. "I'll talk to him, I have a feeling the two of you won't be apart for too long." And with that she got up and headed to her room, leaving Ivana speechless.

"No way." She mumbled under her breath. No way.

━━ 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙚
a little delayed but it's here!! i did not read over ://.
also when this story reaches 10k (which is so close) there will be a chapter with 10k words 🫣.

i want to try that messi chicken sandwich 😋.

ok when if this gets 15-ish votes really fast you'll have the next chapter really fast!