53

My latest book, the Cold Prince is out now on Wattpad! I hope you'll all give it a chance! (:

Word Count: 2163

~Kiva

The dining room opens up around as I approach where my father sits, enjoying his breakfast.

A shaft of sunlight cast through the towering dining room windows gives my father a deceptively ethereal glow.

He looks innocent. He couldn't be further from that.

His eyes lift as I wander in. "Good morning. Feel better?"

I school my expression into a smile, remembering the story. I was kidnapped, and now I am home and terrified the rebellion is going to come for me.

"I feel...fine," I exclaim stiffly, sliding into my chair.

Father's gaze feels heavy as I carefully select my breakfast. A piece of toast I'm going to smother in spread, accompanied by some fruit.

It's what I would choose if I weren't hiding something. It's what I would choose if I weren't moments away from throwing up on the polished floor.

"You have been through a few hard weeks, haven't you dear?"

I ignore the bite of pain in my stomach. His sincere tone doesn't help the situation. I must fixate on Ark, his sister and all the other victims.

"Yeah. Definitely," I mumble, biting into my toast, fighting my nausea.

"Are you feeling up to talking to me about it today?" He says it like I have a choice. He will continuously push the issue until I eventually cave, regardless of any emotional effect it may have on me.

I give a little shrug. "They kept me in a dark room the entire time. They didn't even question me."

"Hmm. That's strange."

"Very strange. They told me I wasn't involved." I watch his expression.

He frowns, slowly chewing his cereal. I wait for the guilt, or even a flicker of recognition. He must know what this is about...he must know this goes deeper than a hatred for royals.

If he does, he's not going to let me know that.

"You're a Princess. If they are so against the royals, then I would have expected them to target you," he muses.

I narrow my eyes. Is he truly clueless, or is he just an excellent actor? I've never been very in tune with my fathers emotions as he hasn't consulted me on much beyond my duties as Princess.

"What if that's not what it is about?"

His spoon pauses halfway to his mouth, milk dripping down and splattering on his place setting. My breath hitches as he slowly lowers it back to his bowl.