49

Word Count: 1754

~Kiva

This is bad. Really bad.

Ark has taken me back to the compound again, letting me calm down. I haven't slept, unable to stop replaying the events of the other night over in my head.

Caspian is free. I'm free from him, although not free from Ark.

But that is the least of my concerns. Ark's accusation rings in my head. His sister is dead, and somehow Caspian is involved, and so is my father.

Did they kill her? My stomach churns at the thought.

Rolling over in bed, I tuck my knees to my chest, wanting to sob. I have no reason to trust Ark, and yet I believe him. Seeing his expression, hearing the way he spoke has made it clear to me that whatever is going on is terrible.

I just can't wrap my head around how my father is involved.

The sound of voices drawing near has me sitting up. The guards that are usually posted outside my room don't speak much, and don't dare come in.

Not like Ark did...

It's strange to think that he once guarded my door as these people now do. I don't even know their names. Now Ark is too busy running this operation to waste his time keeping me from escaping.

"You're not going in there, are you?" A soft, feminine voice trills from the other side of the door.

I tense. What is going on?

"Of course I am," another voice responds. It's Ark, by the sounds of it. He seems irritated, like he's in a rush and he's being distracted.

"You'll keep a clearer head if you stay away," the girl exclaims.

I frown. Her voice almost sounds sultry. I wish I could see what she looked like, how close she may be lingering to my make.

I shake my head. What am I thinking? I shouldn't care...

"I've been in close proximity to her for months. I can handle the mate bond," Ark responds.

"Oh really..."

"We talked about this. Kiva deserves redemption, and that is what she is going to get," Ark snaps. There's the sound of stumbling, like Ark pushed off this unknown girl.

I grit my teeth. Is she trying to convince him to hurt me? Or is she jealous that his attention is on me so often?

"But does she deserve it?" She questions.

Ark pauses, but not as if he is considering what she said, but as if he is regarding this girl with what I hope is disgust.

"What's your game?"

"You and I started something before you left, Ark. From the first day you were there you changed. You didn't want me anymore." She sounds like she is pouting.

My stomach aches a little. I shouldn't be surprised that Ark had a lover before he came to work for my father. I mean, I did too. It still makes me uncomfortable to think about.

"I didn't mean to hurt you," Ark says softly to the point I almost can't hear him. "Kiva is my weak point, she's special. I'm tired of pretending like she isn't."

"She sounds like more worth than she actually is."

"We agreed from the beginning that if Kiva was not involved with her fathers business, then she would be spared," Ark growls.

I shudder, knowing he always intended to kill me. Had my father so much as disclosed anything to me, then I would be dead by now.

I swing my legs over the edge of the bed, leaning down in an attempt not to throw up.