34

Word Count: 1524

~Kiva

A week ago, I returned home. Two days ago, my mate sent me a letter.

Ark must have gotten into my room while I was gone. I'm not sure why he bothered, since he could have just told me he wanted to speak to my face, but clearly he is maintaining the ruse that he isn't working for the rebellion.

It all seems so ridiculous. There is so much pointless lying, considering the truth is so obviously laid out.

Regardless, I'm heading out into the forest tonight to meet with the masked figure.

Ark is supposedly elsewhere tonight. Convenient that I've been requested to leave the manor he isn't working...

Ice crunches underfoot as I pick my way carefully through the forest. My skin crawls with a haunting feeling like I'm being watched, or followed.

I pause, glancing over my shoulder.

Nothing. Just flimsy shadows wrapped around trees, seeming to crawl their way toward me. A soft but steady breeze rustles the canopy above me, adding to the ominous scene unfolding around me.

Turning around I gasp. My mate stands with his hands in his pockets, staring at me from beneath his hood.

Something seems off tonight. He almost seems smaller, more withdrawn and unsure. Usually he approaches me with his shoulders squared back and sense of confidence about him.

I rest my hand over my chest, my heart racing beneath.

"You scared me," I breathe. After knowing Ark for months now, he still terrifies me.

Especially when he looks like this...that dark hood hides his face, and instead of his usual leather gloves, these ones are soft like velvet.

Like they are meant to be dragged over my skin...

All of a sudden, a figure emerges from a nearby tree, drawing behind my mate, a knife to their neck.

It takes a few moments for me to register that the man holding the knife is Ark. And in his clutches, is a hooded man who I thought...I thought was Ark.

"Ark...You're here." I can hardly comprehend what is unfolding in front of me.

"I followed you," he growls, looking down "Who is this?"

The man in the hood is stiff, unmoving. He doesn't protest against Ark's hold on him, but with a knife pressed to his neck, I don't blame him for keeping still.

"My mate. But you're my mate," I mouth, looking between the two as I try to make this fit in my brain.

This can't be happening right now. Something isn't right about this situation...

"Take off your hood," Ark orders, drawing his knife away enough for it to still be an imminent threat, but far enough for the man to oblige my guard.

He doesn't though. In response to his lack of submission, Ark strikes my mate in the centre of his back, causing his legs to give out from under him. Immediately Ark is behind him, a strong grip on his hair as he forces his head back, exposing his neck so the knife can be pressed against it.

In one swift movement, Ark pulls the hood of the man back.

His head falls forward, waves of light brown hair falling over his forehead.

I don't recognise him. Nothing about him is familiar.

"You...how is this possible?" I gasp, examining his face.