33

Word Count: 1940

~Kiva

I let out a long, slow breath.

All the tension has ebbed out of my shoulders, as I dump my small bag of belongings onto the bed.

This inn isn't far from Caspian's. I told him I was visiting home for a night, which he mercifully didn't question.

I wonder what he would do if he learned I was spending a night with Ark, in a small double bed in a tiny little room.

"This place is nice." I'm aware of how awkward I sound, but it's impossible to avoid.

"Some staff at Caspian's estate told me about."

I sit on the edge of the bed, playing with the end of the patterned quilt.

There is no one here to interrupt us. We don't have to be quiet, or secretive. It's just us, in this intimate space where our only company is this tension we can't seem to shake.

"No doubt someone who wanted you to take them here," I say playfully, although the thought stings.

Ark smiles, drawing the flimsy curtains closed. "Jealous?"

"No...but it's true, isn't it?"

I know girls want him. I've heard it from my own staff. And considering I'm marrying another man, why wouldn't Ark move on too?

"You're asking me if I've been propositioned for sex by other staff?" He raises a dark brow, both taunting and inquisitive.

I shrug, tracing my fingers along the stitching of the duvet. "I've heard them talking about you."

"They are all too afraid of me to attempt it."

The way he stands there, looming over me, reminds me of why people would be afraid of him. And they should be, considering the secret he bears accompanied with the power he has.

"Ah yes. The big, scary mercenary," I exclaim jokingly, although I sound a little breathless.

A soft smirk touches at his lips. "Are you taunting me?"

"I would never..." I respond coyly.

I know it's dangerous to play with him, to get comfortable. Knowing who he truly is and who he works for is only part of the problem...

Memories of the night we shared together return to me in overwhelming flashes. It was the best night of my life, and since then, I haven't been able to get it out of my head.

I know I should want it again, but I would be lying to myself if I didn't admit I do...

"This is an awfully small room, Kiva," he murmurs, looking around it as if every square inch needs to be examined.

My brow raises. "So?"

"And that's a very small bed." His eyes drift to where I sit, so much unsaid sitting between us, neither of us wanting to be the first one to bring it up. "And we have to share it."

I can't shun the feeling gathering inside me. My inhabitations are lowering, even if while knowing he's a liar.

"I think if you want to sleep in the same bed with me, you need to earn it," I tell him, flipping my hair back over my shoulders, letting Ark look over me.

Dark intrigue and an eager intensity spark in his eyes.

"Earn it, huh?'

I stand, certain that if I sit on that bed a moment longer, I'll give into his seduction. I can already feel the temperature in the room heat significantly despite the chilled breeze outside.