Chapter 44 - December 27th, 2003

Erik sighs as he stands in front of the gate that leads to his family's house. It's been five years since he saw them in person. Erik rings the bell next to the gate and waits. 'Who is it?' His brother's voice asks. 'Erik.' It's silent for a while and then the gates open. Erik walks up to the house where his brother and his wife are waiting. 'Brother,' Lars says a little disappointed.

'Look, I get if you're angry, just yell so we can get over this,' Erik says and rolls his eyes. 'I'm not going to yell. I just wanted to say that our parents died in a car crahs in Switzerland almost two years ago,' Lars says with a crack in his voice. 'Oh,' Erik says a little shocked. 'Some young drunk couple drove them of the road!' Freya says still in disbelieve. 'Did they survive?' Erik asks. 'Only the husband,' Freya says.

They make their way inside, away from the cold snow. 'So how come you came back now?' Lars asks. 'I err... I wanted to get some things in order before I leave.' 'Leave? Again? You just got here,' Lars says. 'I err... I met this girl, she so amazing. We've been together for a year and a half, but I'm sure she's the one.' Freya smiles at her brother-in-law. Lars just starts laughing. 'You said that about every girl - or boy - you ever dated.' 'Lars!' Freya says. 'What? It's true. He's the same twenty-year-old he was when he dropped out of university.' 'Lars, I am not, I can assure you that.'

'Well, you can't leave.' Lars says after a moment of silence when irritation was building up. 'Why not?' 'You'll have to help around the house. If you must know, you have triplet nephews. They are now with Freya's parents.' 'Aren't you the father?' Erik scoffs. Freya and Lars look at the young man very seriously. 'Erik, I have ALS. I will be in a wheelchair next year,' Lars says. 'Oh, no,' Erik says a little shocked. 'Aren't you to young to have it?' 'It's younger than most, but not impossible,' Lars explains. Erik looks at his feet. Three days ago, they were in the sand.

'Maybe, you should freshen up a little? I'll start dinner and then we can talk about your journey and our journey?' Freya suggets. 'Okay,' Erik says and goes upstairs. How much bad news can a person handle? At least his brother seemed more friendly than he used to be.