Chapter 25 - July 5th, 2001

'Are you sure your dad wants me at his birthday party?' Mateo asks for the millionth time. 'Yes! He really wants to meet you,' Maia assures him. 'Really?' Mateo asks again. Maia just glares at him. 'Okay, I'm just nervous, no need to look at me like that.' 'You already know Clara and Sookie. It's going to be alright,' Maia says and gives him a kiss on the cheek. Mateo smiles softly.

They enter Valentine's Diner. For a change the party is not at the Hanlin's house. The guests all look at Maia and Mateo. 'Hi!' Sookie kindly says and akwardly, but kindly hugs Mateo Hi, Sookie,' Mateo says and hugsthe boho girl. 'Maia, he really is adorable,' Sookie smiles at her friend. 'Yeah, he is,' Maia agrees and squeezes Mateo's hand as she smiles at him.

'Maia,' Valentine says, holding a coffee in his hand. 'You must be Valentine, Maia's father,' Mateo nervously says and holds his hand out to shake Val's hand. 'I am indeed. Nice to meet you, son,' Valentine says and hugs Mateo. Mateo is a little surprised by the hug. 'Go meet everyone,' Val says and pushes the couple gently towards the crowd.

'They look so nice together,' Sookie says to Valentine. 'They do,' Valentine agrees. The two of them watch Maia introducing everyone to Mateo. 'Sookie, is you mother coming?' Valentine asks. 'No, she said she wasn't feeling well,' Sookie sighs. 'Oh,' Valentine says disappointed. He hasn't heard from Anna since Valentine's Day. 'Hey, Sookie, do you mind holding my coffee for a while?' 'Sure, where are you going?' 'I'll be back,' Valentine says and leaves his birthday party.

On his way to Anna's house he's thinking. She confessed her feelings towards him? Why is she hiding? At the Hanlin's house, he knocks on the front door. Anna never liked it when people rang the bell. The door opens. 'Oh, Valentine!' Anna says surprised. 'Can I come in?' Valentine asks. Anna opens the door further and nods. She closes the door after Valentine enters her home.

'You can't say you love me and then hide from me for months and not come to my birthday party.' Valentine looks at his friend. 'I should've never said that.' 'But you did, Anna.' Anna sighs. 'We could never be together even if you would feel the same. Our sons are together!' 'I know that.' Valentine sadly says and takes Anna's hand. 'But I do love you too,' Valentine says. 'I've missed you so much these last months.' 'I've missed you too.' Anna hugs Valentine, he hugs her back.

'But we can't be together, and you know it,' Anna says. Valentine looks at Anna. He's sad, they both are. 'I know,' he says, looking into her eyes. She looks back into his. They lean in closer with every second that passes. 'We can't,' Anna says and looks down at their hands. 'I know,' Valentine says and kisses Anna's forehead. 'But please, don't stop being my friend. I need you to be in my life.' 'Okay,' Anna nods and forces a smile on her lips. 'Do you promise?' Valentine asks, hopeful. 'I promise,' Anna says and squeezes his hand.

They stand there for a while, holding hands. 'You need to go back to your birthday party,' Anna says. 'Only if you will be there next year,' Valentine says. 'I will,' Anna promises. 'Good, 'cause you need your daughter to stop buying me animal aprons,' Valentine smiles. 'She would never stop,' Anna laughs. 'Guess I would have to wear the duck apron too then?' 'I think you do,' Anna smiles and opens the front door again. Valentine leaves with a sad smile.