Chapter 7 - September 4th, 1999

'I'm going to miss you,' Maia says and hugs Sookie tight. 'I'll miss you too,' Sookie says with a crack in her voice. Maia lets her friend go so Clara can say goodbye too. 'I'll miss you, Soo,' Clara whispers in her ear. 'I love you,' Sookie whispers and quickly kisses her cheek so no one will notice. 'I love you,' Clara whispers before letting her girlfriend go. Maia and Clara get into one car, Sookie in the other one with Paul. The three girls try not to cry when their ways part.

'Honey, have you heard anything form Thomas?' Anna asks her daughter once they start driving. 'No,' Sookie silently says. 'Thank you for driving me,' Paul changes the subject. 'It's my pleasure,' Anna says and smiles to the young man.

An hour later, Sookie and Paul arrive at Mount Rose College. 'We'll help your stuff to your dorm first,' Anna says to Paul. 'Okay, thank you,' he says and takes a bag out of the trunk. 'Oh look at that, we're in the same building,' Sookie says when she sees the name above the entry way. 'Yeah, your brother too,' Paul says awkwardly. 'I don't get why he doesn't talk to us anymore,' Anna says and holds open the door. They enter Paul's dorm and put his stuff in his room. 'I can't thank you enough for helping me,' Paul thanks the Hanlins. 'You can by helping me,' Sookie smiles and pats his shoulder. 'That's the least I can do.'

They move some furniture, clothes and other stuff into Sookie's room. 'I wish I could stay longer honey, but I need to get up early in the morning,' Anna says sadly to her daughter. 'That's okay. I'll call you tomorrow,' Sookie says and hugs her mother. 'Actually, you can call me whenever you want,' Anna says and hands over Sookie a box. 'A cell phone?!' Sookie asks surprised 'Yes, your brother got one too when he graduated.' 'He did?' Both Sookie and Paul asked surprised. 'Yes, I thought you two knew?' Anna asks confused. 'No,' Paul and Sookie say. 'Well... Paul maybe you can help Sookie to add numbers?' 'Sure.' 'Okay. Bye,' Anna says and hugs Sookie again and then Paul.

When Anna leaves, Paul and Sookie look at each other. Their conversation has no words, they are both wondering about Thomas's cell phone. 'I'll go get a pizza and then I'll help you with your phone,' Paul says. 'Okay, thanks,' Sookie says. They share a smile.

Twenty minutes later there's a pizza on the little coffee table. Paul and Sookie are both reading the manual and start to understand how a phone works. 'You can borrow it when you want to call someone,' Sookie says when they succeeded to add numbers to the contactlist. 'I'll keep it in mind, thanks,' Paul says and playfully runs a hand through Sookie's hair. 'Watch it Ainsley,' Sookie says sternly. 'I'm trembling with fear mini Hanlin,' Paul laughs. 'I'm not mini,' Sookie says and puts the manual back in the box. 'I know.' 'Then why call me that?' Sookie asks taking another slice of pizza. 'You'll always be the youngest.' 'Well, if my brother stays away, I'll be the only one,' Sookie sighs.

Paul stays silent for a moment. 'He sent me a letter, I didn't open it yet.' 'When?' Sookie asks surprised. 'A week ago. I wanted it to open when I was ready to hear his explanation. But I think you deserve an explanation too,' Paul says and takes the letter out of his pocket. 'My eyes will probably be blurry from tears, so will you read it?' Paul carefully asks. 'Sure, if that's what you want,' Sookie says and takes the sealed letter. 'That's what I want,' Paul says and gives her an encouraging smile. 'Okay.'

Sookie opens the letter carefully and starts reading.

'Dear Paul,
I'm the biggest jerk in the whole universe, I know you think that too. And probably so does my family. There are a few thing you should know before I tell you the reason of my disappearing. First, I really did love you. It was not some experiment to see what I like and don't like. I really love you. I know I've never said it back, I hate myself for that. Second, none of this is your fault. You're one of the kindest and most beautiful human beings inside and out. Sookie is number one, but I think we would agree on that one. Don't ever blame yourself for my mistakes, never do that.
And third, well there isn't really a third. Why do people always do that? Give three thing to say when they aren't even three things to tell. Anyhow, you probably already scold me five times for being so indifferent. I once told you I'm not good with words, I guess if this letter will be more than one page I was lying. I lied about many things. And I shouldn't, I only hurt the few people who care about me.
Here it is: I'm a father. Yeah, I'm shocked too. Do you remember that one night when I said I was with mom and Sookie out of town for the weekend? Well... mom and Sookie weren't with me. I was out with this girl Lucinda. We got drunk and had sex. I cheated on you only one month after we got together. It was haunting me, literally now. I have a six month old daughter called Ophelia Hanlin.
I should've told you from the moment I knew. I couldn't. I couldn't hurt you, but eventually I did hurt you, badly. You won't be seeing me in college, I dropped out. I have to take responsibility for my mistakes, even it breaks my heart - and yours. There's no excuse for how I treated you. I won't be mad if you hate me now. I hate myself even more I think. I have a job now in a garage, guess I've always been good with cars. It pays enough to help raise Ophelia.
I know you hate me now, but please promise me one thing. Don't tell my mom or Sookie. I'm ashamed for my behaviour and want to tell them when I'm ready. I know it's a lot to ask. You'll find my phone number on the back. For emergencies?
I'll always love you, there's no one like you,
Tom.'

Sookie looks at Paul, the tears streaming down his face. 'He really is a jerk,' he cries. 'Oh, Paul,' Sookie says heartbroken by how miserable her friend looks and hugs him. Paul lets it all out. Sookie wipes away his tears and then her own. She's hurt that he didn't trust his own sister and mother enough to tell them what's going on. The two friends sit in silent, hugging each other. 'At least he didn't die,' Sookie whispers. 'Right now I wish he was dead,' Paul whispers back. 'I'm going to ignore that,' Sookie says and leans her head against Paul's shoulder.