Chapter 7. One more time

The morning dawned with a gray sky and a chilling wind, but I maintained a smile. As I prepared for training, I continued to smile. I smiled during breakfast and on the training ground as well. We practiced the basics several times, but I kept making mistakes, as if my blind spot had grown larger.

"Hinata, you seem lost in your thoughts," remarked Kiba, furrowing his brow at me.

"I'm sorry, Kiba-kun," I hesitated, attempting to gather my thoughts.

"No need to apologize. Everything is fine!" he said in a relaxed tone, stretching his body. "Besides, the war is over, the missions are straightforward, and I've even gained weight! Akamaru has too! We couldn't ask for more. You know, plump dogs are both amusing and endearing!"

"I happen to like dogs like that," muttered Shino.

"Ah-ah! Speaking of food, now I'm craving it!" Kiba howled. "Akamaru, drop the stick! I said, drop it!" Kiba hurriedly approached his dog, taking away a decayed branch the size of an average oak.

Leaning against a tree, I savored the tranquility. Kiba-kun can be quite boisterous. But it feels wonderful to be with the guys again.

"Hinata," Shino suddenly appeared beside me. "You spend a considerable amount of time with Naruto. It might be seen as a sign of a budding romantic relationship between the two of you," he suggested.

I shrugged, concealing my excitement. It doesn't necessarily mean anything. Although deep down, I hope it does. But I mustn't let myself hope, I mustn't! I closed my eyes, banishing unwelcome thoughts.

"Oh, be quiet, Shino!" snarled Kiba. "Our princess isn't worthy of that foolish Naruto. I'll become Hokage before him. And Hinata will find a husband a thousand times more deserving than that idiot! Akamaru, come on, remember who I told you about? Keep your mouth closed!..."

Kiba stormed off once again.

"Kiba, you won't become Hokage. No one would vote for you, and I would certainly oppose it," retorted Shino, wasting no time in responding.

I simply smiled as I observed them—my friends, my closest friends. The soul feels so warm and light when they're near.

"Guys, let's give it another try!" I exclaimed, running towards them and activating my Byakugan.

In the evening, feeling weary, with the sound of a snowstorm outside the window, I finished knitting a scarf. It turned out long and wide, just as I had envisioned. And it wasn't scratchy at all. After carefully inspecting each stitch and correcting any small flaws, I placed it in a bag, tying it with a red bow.

"Is this a gift for him?" My sister peeked into the room.

"Hanabi," I said sternly, "that's none of your business."

"When are you going to confess? Today?" Her smile widened. When did she become so perceptive?

"This isn't for confessing!" I stood up, almost knocking over the table, and hastily guided her out the door.

But she's right: when will I confess? And how?

The following day, I made the decision to invite Sakura to the café. I felt remorseful for my unkind behavior towards her and, more importantly, she needed a friend now more than ever. Someone who truly understood her pain. And I understood it better than anyone else, yet I pushed her away, inventing absurdities and baseless jealousy. How shameful.

Thankfully, Sakura agreed.

"I haven't seen you at the needlework store in a while," she observed, taking a bite of her cake.

"I finished my project." I sipped my herbal tea.

"That's wonderful!" Sakura exclaimed. "You should present it as soon as you can!"

"Perhaps... But his birthday isn't coming up soon, and there aren't any other occasions," I replied, turning the mug in my hands.

"How can you say that? There is an occasion! Your feelings are reason enough!" Sakura pointed her fork at me. I felt my face heat up. Am I that obvious? "You need to be brave, Hinata."

Sakura broke off another piece of cake, and I contemplated her words. She's right; I need to be more strategic.

"This Thursday, he'll be returning to the academy to meet with Iruka-sensei. He's become a role model for the children." Sakura winked at me. "And he'll be completely free after dinner," she hinted, her eyes darting in my direction, her fork piercing the cake.

By Thursday, the weather had taken a turn for the worse. The sky had been overcast with dark gray clouds since early morning. Look, it's about to rain. But I had made up my mind. I must do it. Today or never!

I put on a new blouse, applied a touch of makeup to my eyes, and by two o'clock in the afternoon, I found myself not far from the academy, clutching a package in my hands. Foolishly, I had forgotten to bring an umbrella. Nervously, I glanced up at the sky, silently praying that the rain would hold off until after I met Naruto-kun.

"Naruto-senpai!" A girlish squeal reached my ears.

"That's enough for today," Iruka-sensei said sternly. "What should I say?"

"Thank you, Naruto-senpai!" The children chimed in unison.

At that moment, Naruto-kun emerged from behind the gate. He looked worn-out yet content. Smiling, he waved to the others and stepped away from the gate.

As soon as the doors closed behind him, he took a deep breath and gazed up at the sky. I let out a sigh and approached him resolutely.

"Naruto-kun," I called, and our eyes met instantly.

"Hinata," he smiled, shoving his hands into his pockets. "What brings you to the academy?"

"No, I..." I hesitated, unsure of how to admit that I had been waiting for him there.

"What's in your package?" he asked, leaning closer.

"It's a gift," I mumbled, feeling my cheeks flush.

"To whom? To me?" Naruto asked, his voice tinged with surprise.

I nodded, unable to voice it aloud.

"Wow! That's cool!" he exclaimed, genuine surprise evident in his tone. "This calls for a celebration. What do you say we go to 'Ichiraku'?"

As always, thinking about food. But it's a good idea, considering the weather. I nodded happily.

"Wait," he patted his pockets thoughtfully. "I didn't bring my wallet. Come with me, it's not far."

"But I..." I started, but he interrupted me.

"No, no, let's go. It's not far," he said, taking my hand and pulling me along.

A block later, we arrived at his place. The wind picked up, ruthlessly tousling my hair and his jacket.

"Hinata, come up with me," he suggested. "It's about to pour. Let's hurry, I'll grab my wallet and an umbrella."

I looked at the sky, gloomy like Shino's mood.Yes, it would be better to go upstairs.