Chapter 25: Leah

"No!"Leah screamed, pushing herself away from him.

 Jacob gasped, looking as shocked as she was. "Laban, what is the meaning of this?"he roared, turning his back on her to face her father, who looked calm and resolute—and even, beneath the veneer of solemnity, vengefully delighted.

 "You switched the tents,"she shouted at Laban."You swore that all was forgiven, and then betrayed us!"she said.

 "All is forgiven,"he responded, his voice suddenly as cold as a corpse. "I have kept my word. Jacob served seven years of labor, and as a reward, I gave him my daughter in marriage."

 "Not the one I was promised to!"Jacob lunged for him, but before Leah could intercept, he was restrained by a few of the guests. Some were as dismayed and bereaved as Leah was, though a few others looked on them with cold judgment.

 "Did you really think I would just forgive without any consequences?"he spat. "After your disobedience, Leah, I could never guarantee your virginity to a wealthy man. But at least I know Rachel is a virgin. She will fetch a much better price than you ever could have now that your shame is known."

 Death would have been better than this, Leah thought. A life with a stranger would have been more merciful than marrying the man Rachel loved. It was crueler than death.

 "What do you mean to do with Rachel?" Jacob spoke in Leah's stead when he saw that she was unable to utter a word.

Laban laughed, and Leah was consumed with the urge to strike him. Grab the glazed goblet and hit him hard over the head. Smash his skull. Watch him bleed a river and end their drought. Everyone who thought she was graceful and modest like her mother was wrong. They had been wrong about her mother, spread lies about her, just like they did for Leah. She could kill if she had to. If something got in her way.

 Leah reached for the goblet next to them and lifted it to swing, but Jacob was at her side in an instant to stop her.

 "Rachel's punishment is far worse than yours,"Laban said to them, eyeing Leah with a skeptical expression. "She was always my obedient daughter, yet she allowed herself to be corrupted by your insolence. For that, she must pay the ultimate price."

 Ignoring her father's tirade, Leah ran out of the tent, past all the shocked faces, Jacob at her heels. Together they charged toward the second tent on the riverbank. She ran inside first, expecting to see Rachel collapsed on the floor like she was earlier. But instead Leah found her sitting cross-legged on a rug giggling, veil in her lap, twirling a lock of hair around a finger. Innocent. Hopeful. Waiting.

 Rachel saw them and didn't speak. She stood slowly, the veil falling to the floor. Her eyes glittered in the lamplight, the thick smudges of kohl along their edges bleeding black streaks across her face as one by one, tears began to fall.

 "What happened?" she asked, her voice a hoarse whisper, but from her expression, it appeared she could see the truth.

It was then Leah realized that Jacob's hand was clasping hers; they must have grasped one another out of desperation as they ran. She separated from him quickly, but the damage had been done.

 "Rachel—" Leah started, but Rachel began to sob.

 "You're married?" Rachel whispered, her hands clutching her robe—as though it were a wild beast she needed to pry off of her flesh.

 Jacob brushed past Leah and went to Rachel, putting his hands on her shoulders, but she did not acknowledge him.

 "Laban tricked us,"Jacob said as she wept silently, hiding her face from Leah. "He made me believe that I was marrying you, ashati. Leah was fooled as well."

 Jacob and Leah looked at one another. The years of labor in the sheep meadows had made his cheekbones angular, and she saw for the first time just how tired he was. He waited seven years for nothing. She remembered being that tired herself, once. Until Levi woke her up again, promising her a better life.

 "If you're wondering where Levi is, he's safe,"Laban said from behind her, having shown up just in time to watch Rachel's body crumple and fall to the floor. Leah could hear the smirk in his tone.

 "Where is he?"she asked, but did not turn around.

 "When we drank to our agreement, his cup of wine was drugged with poppy juice.  I've made an arrangement with the slave master,"Laban said, resting a hand on Leah's back. She winced as though a whip had bitten her flesh there. She was unable to fathom what he just told her.

 "And Rachel will be alone for a time, until this scandal wears off and I can better sell her to someone far, far away from here and for far more money than you'd ever be worth."

 Laban left, and Leah heard the crowds of people outside, readying the wedding feast that should have been Rachel's.

 Any moment now, I will wake and it will all have been a dream.

 "Rachel, I'm so sorry,"Leah said, reaching out to her with a shaking hand. But Rachel only looked at her for a moment before running out of the tent, distraught. Jacob followed her, and Leah was alone. Just as she had started. Just, as it seemed, she was meant to be.

  ****

Poor, poor Rachel. We'll get her perspective in the next chapter- what will she do now that she's alone?

Pre-order SIN AND HONEY's 2nd novella THE TOUCH OF BETRAYAL (a retelling of Samson and Delilah) now! 

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Betrayal-SIN-HONEY-novella-ebook/dp/B00ZB2P7VY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1435150894&sr=1-2

 iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-touch-of-betrayal/id1004008868?mt=11 

 Join my newsletter for info on contests, giveaways and exclusive VIP content: http://www.tarynscarlett.com/newsletter

 Follow me on Twitter: TarynScarlett