Chapter 19: Leah

Levi stood and refilled his bucket, this time for their donkeys, who lapped at the water happily. One of the settlers of the encampment walked by them and picked up their empty bucket, nodding courteously.

"I wish you and your wife a safe and restful remainder of your journey,"he said before dropping the bucket back into the well and retreating to his tent.

Leah and Levi looked at one another, unsure of how to respond. Leah wanted to smile, but felt that if she dared, the ground beneath them would splinter and collapse. Neither of them spoke, but Levi reached out and touched her fingertips-just barely making contact with her palm where it rested on the ground. Leah broke his gaze, bringing her hands to her face and tucking in any stray strands of hair into her scarf. She wanted to throw herself into his arms and disappear into him, as they had last night, but now she was almost afraid to look at him. Afraid to believe that the storm had finally ended.

It hit her then. After so many years of keeping secrets, would she ever feel like they didn't have to hide?

"It's strange, I know,"Levi said, finally breaking the silence. He reached up and deliberately took her hand. His face was smudged with dirt and she thought he looked older now than he had mere hours ago. He was even handsomer now that she could truly look at him without turning away every few moments to ensure their privacy. The small dimple in his cheek showed in the sunlight, and his smile was warm and kind."You are free, Leah. We are free now."

"Tell me about Tyre," she said, the words flavored with hope. She'd forgotten how it tasted-sweet on the tongue like plums roasted over the fire.

"Tyre is a far greater city than Haran, with palaces and temples and marketplaces. Shops sell fine fabrics, and I can find work as a carpenter with my cousins. We will live in a little house of mud brick, and the ocean breeze will keep us cool in the summer," he said, smiling at her.

Leah slid into the satisfaction of thinking about the future. The plan to go to Tyre had long been a dream in her mind, but now it was real. She could hardly imagine what it would be like to live in a house of sturdy walls. Would she miss her small tent and the clucking of The Birds as they gathered by the fire?

"Will we really live by the sea?" she asked. "I have always wondered what it looked like."

He stretched his arms out as though he were enfolding the earth into his embrace. "Imagine the Perath stretching so wide you cannot see the riverbanks on the other side. High white waves crashing to shore-fresh fish to eat every night instead of goat and lamb ..."

"I cannot imagine it!"she squealed, looking both ways to make sure no one was watching them before climbing into his lap. He took hold of her, cradling her tight.

He nodded. "And you? What will you do all day while I am out working?"

"I will help with the honey. Continue my spinning and weaving."She swallowed hard, looking deep into his eyes. "Maybe ...start a family of our own?"

Levi cupped her cheek. "Anything you want, Leah."Then, he raised his eyebrows. "Shouldn't we be married before we start ..."

"I think we are married because we say we are,"she whispered, her lips close to his. She stood and pulled him farther beneath the awning so they could kiss deeply without being seen.

"Well then, wife, we should discuss your newfound marital duties,"Levi said, pretending to take on a stern voice between kisses. "Washing the clothing, cooking me all my food-"

"But you love to cook, too!"

"Never interrupting me,"he said, tickling her ribcage. She laughed and laughed-he knew she loved being tickled-rolling about in his arms until she grew too hot and forced herself away from him.

"It sounds like I will be too busy following all of my husband's edicts to make babies,"she said, teasing him. He crawled toward her and caught her wrist. Her pulse quickened, like the wings of a fluttering bird in his clutches.

"No, Leah,"he said, bringing her wrist to his lips. "It won't be like that, I promise."

She kissed him again, chastely. "I know."

Her eyes trailed down the small droplets of sweat gathered in his clavicle, the sinews in his neck, and the damp curls she longed to touch, to grip as he had taken the reins. But one of them brayed, and the couple broke apart from where they were kneeling.

"We should keep riding while it's daylight," Leah suggested.

Levi nodded in agreement and together they crawled out from under the awning, squinting in the now bright sun, the ground drying out after the storm. Leah patted her mount, which looked distressed. It whinnied again, this time kicking its hooves up into the air. Leah jumped back to avoid being hit.

Then she heard them.

Gruff voices shouted across the quiet. Leah turned and saw three riders racing toward them.

****

Levi and Leah have been found! What will Laban do now that they have been caught?

Pre-order SIN AND HONEY's 2nd novella THE TOUCH OF BETRAYAL (a retelling of Samson and Delilah) now!

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Betrayal-SIN-HONEY-novella-ebook/dp/B00ZB2P7VY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1435150894&sr=1-2

iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-touch-of-betrayal/id1004008868?mt=11

Join my newsletter for info on contests, giveaways and exclusive VIP content: http://www.tarynscarlett.com/newsletter

Follow me on Twitter: TarynScarlett