Chapter 15: Rachel

Rachel needed a plan.

Her silence wasn't out of sadness, but rather out of intense concentration. Leah had protected Rachel from the truth for so many years, and it was time for Rachel to be brave and help her sister.

"This is all my fault,"she whispered. "I was such a—"

"You were an innocent child, Rachel,"Leah said, squeezing her hand and sitting up on her mat. "You couldn't have known the truth."

"I was too obedient,"Rachel insisted, pulling her knees into her chest. "I listened to every word he said. I never questioned him!"

"I did, and look where it got me."Leah winced slightly as she sat up, mirroring Rachel's position. "At least you and Jacob won't be separated."

Rachel was grateful for that, but she wouldn't say it. "And Levi? Where—where will he go?"

Leah shrugged. "We were planning to go to his uncle in Tyre for a bit and settle, trade honey—but I don't know what he'll do now."

Rachel surveyed her sister. The Birds were right. She looked different. "Did you ..."

Leah smiled. She kept her eyes downcast, but nodded. "We did."Then she grew fearful and gripped Rachel's wrist. "You won't tell, will you?"

Rachel shook her head. "Nothing matters more to me than you,"she said. It hadn't always been true, but it was now. She loved Jacob, but he had been wrong. Telling Laban about Leah was a mistake. From now on, she would need to make some decisions on her own. "Do you forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive,"Leah said, uncoiling a lock of Rachel's hair. "It wasn't fair to make you wait to start your life."

Rachel took Leah's hand. She could see clearly now; beneath the sting marks from the bees there were older scars and calluses, a whole history of their father's cruelty hidden in the lines of her sister's palm.

"It isn't just about Jacob,"Rachel said. "I was waiting for my marriage, but ...Leah, I was also waiting for you. I was heartbroken when you shut me out and we grew apart."

Leah's eyes shone with tears."I'm sorry for that. The truth is ...sometimes, I was envious of you. You didn't know, so you could love Father. For me, it felt like I'd lost them both."

"You envied me?"All this time she'd felt ignored, shut out. But Leah had loved her from a distance.

"Of course,"Leah said, smiling. "You're beautiful, you are betrothed with our father's blessing to a man you love. You had our father's love. Sometimes I dreamt we could switch places."

Switch places. Rachel gasped. "Leah!"

"But that wasn't fair to you. I felt guilty even thinking it, Rachel ..."

"No, Leah—don't you see? You're a genius,"Rachel said.

Leah looked at Rachel inquisitively. "What are you talking about?"

A plan."Leah, you can still leave."

"With our guards outside and more patrolling the grounds? In my condition?"Leah pulled away and drew the sheets up around her, rolling over. "Don't say things like that. This is the way it has to be." 

Rachel reached out and took her sister's shaking hands.

"Listen to me. We switch places, just like you said. I will disguise myself as you and approach the wedding tent Father has arranged for you."

"Wedding tent?"Leah grew slightly pale. "Rachel, you're talking nonsense. How would we even do that? Look at us. We are too different,"Leah said, gesturing between them.  

Rachel said, "We will put wads of wool in the heels of my shoes to make me look taller. But the bridal garments should hide my appearance well enough,"she said."The thick veil will cover my face and everything else down to my waist, and it will muffle my voice sufficiently to fool Father and whatever man he has gotten to marry you. I will delay the wedding as long as possible so that you and Levi can escape."

"But what happens to you?"Leah questioned, obviously fearful. "When Abī figures out that I'm not there?"

"I will reveal myself to him at the last possible moment." 

Leah's quivering chin didn't hide her sadness. "I can't let you do this. What if he forces you to marry the man he's chosen for me instead? What about Jacob?"

Rachel hadn't seen Jacob since the grove. She imagined he was still shouting, still fighting for her. She envisioned him kneeling at Laban's feet and making promises so long as he could marry her tomorrow as planned. She loved him for it.

It didn't change the fact that after what she had done, she owed her sister a great debt. And this was how she would repay it.

"I have to believe there's still a part of Father that will understand,"she said, willing herself to believe it. "I know what could happen, Leah. But I have to do this. Let me help you."

***

Will their plan work? 

Pre-order SIN AND HONEY's 2nd novella THE TOUCH OF BETRAYAL (a retelling of Samson and Delilah) now!

 Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Betrayal-SIN-HONEY-novella-ebook/dp/B00ZB2P7VY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1435150894&sr=1-2

 iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-touch-of-betrayal/id1004008868?mt=11

 Join my newsletter for info on contests, giveaways and exclusive VIP content: http://www.tarynscarlett.com/newsletter 

 Follow me on Twitter: TarynScarlett