Chapter 21: Rachel

Laban had smiled, patting Jacob's shoulder. "Good boy. Take the boys with you,"he said, nodding to Achan and Eli. The men left, Laban ordering Mirah—obviously his new pet—to guard the door so Rachel did not run. One by one the guests left, but Rachel did not look up to see their hateful—or worse, pitying—expressions. She sat on the floor and cried for hours, waiting for the worst.

 Now that they were returned, Rachel's gaze swept over the occupants of the tent. She was relieved that Leah and Levi were alright.

 "Laban is your father, Rachel,"Mirah said reproachfully. Her voice was high-pitched with a nasal trill. "You should respect him."

 Leah turned to face Mirah. "How can you say that? You know what he's done!"

 The woman put her hands on the hips of her brown robe, which was frayed at the sleeves and needed mending.

 "My family has suffered for years because of what my grandmother did. If she was caught helping another lovesick girl, we would have been sent to the slave master. I couldn't let that happen."Suddenly her defiance vanished and she seemed to sag."I'm sorry,"she said softly.

 "So it's true then?"Leah said, turning to Amit, who was sitting on one of the cushions, her head in her hands. "You tried to help our mother escape?"

 Amit nodded, looking up at the girls. "I tried to help her run away with her lover.  They were caught, and our food ration for the month was cut in half. And the next month, reduced by a third. My daughter gave birth to a stillborn son."

"My brother."Mirah walked over to her grandmother and touched her shoulder. To Rachel she said, "You are royalty in camp, but your father owns the rest of us."

Leah looked shocked. It was the first she heard of their mother falling in love with another man.

 "Abī told me the other day, in the grove, about what Ummīdid,"Rachel told her.  "That's why he hurt her."

            "Is he mad enough to kill us both?"Leah whispered, speaking to no one. Levi joined her and took her hand. She turned to him and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

            "I'm sorry, Rachel."Jacob finally spoke from where he stood in the corner of the tent, his eyes on the ground. "I couldn't let him. I just couldn't ..."

            Rachel opened her arms and Jacob walked into them, holding her tightly and whispering apologies in her ear. If this were the last moment they would have together—if they would soon be separated by eternal sleep, or by heavy chains—she would spend it thankful. She could not begrudge him his love for her.

            "What a sweet picture."Laban swept aside the tent flap still wearing his wedding robe of embroidered black cloth. Rachel wondered now if he dressed for a funeral. He looked solemn as he surveyed the little group: Levi and Leah clutching one another desperately, and next to them, Jacob folding Rachel into his embrace. Her breath halted inside her chest—even her heartbeat was still as they waited for Laban to pass judgment.

 "You are willing to die for this man,"he said to Leah, calmer than he had appeared in months, and yet older than Rachel ever remembered him.

Leah stood tall, and Rachel marveled at her lack of fear."I am, Father."

            Laban raised his eyebrows, crossing his arms over his chest. "All your life, you've never once spoken out of turn. Never questioned an order. Both you and Rachel ..."

            "That's not true,"Leah said, interrupting him. His face grew redder, but she continued. "I have questioned your orders. Just because I followed them doesn't mean I didn't question them."

 "Please,"Rachel choked out, afraid that Leah was going to condemn herself,"spare their lives, Abī. For the love you once bore our mother—"

 But Leah did not stop."How does a little girl wanting to learn numbers lead to disrespect? I could have helped you. But you only wanted me to find a husband. Can you truly blame me for wanting a say in who that man would be?"

 Surprised, Laban advanced on her. "So you've always been insolent. Disobedient in your heart."

 Leah took Levi's hand. "I never wanted to be, but you gave me no choice. Once I knew the truth about what you did to Ummī, my heart closed to anything you ever wanted for me. I love Levi, and he loves me. We won't apologize for that."

 "Enough. I have made my decision."

***

What will Laban do to Rachel and Leah?

Pre-order SIN AND HONEY's 2nd novella THE TOUCH OF BETRAYAL (a retelling of Samson and Delilah) now! 

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Betrayal-SIN-HONEY-novella-ebook/dp/B00ZB2P7VY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1435150894&sr=1-2 

 iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-touch-of-betrayal/id1004008868?mt=11 

 Join my newsletter for info on contests, giveaways and exclusive VIP content: http://www.tarynscarlett.com/newsletter

 Follow me on Twitter: TarynScarlett