04

Patrick and I had left the dressing room with hugs, welcomes and an invite to a dinner and party the next evening. On the drive back to the hotel, Patrick couldn't stop talking about how excited he was I had met his friends. It was fun and exciting but I found myself in a thoughtful mood. I wasn't being deliberately quiet, but Patrick was the only one speaking. My head was on a certain Spaniard even though I was trying my hardest to suppress my thoughts.

I didn't want to be so attracted to someone else, especially someone who was a well-known footballer. I was getting married, and soon. I had just made the move from South Africa to the UK, to be with the love of my life. There's nothing wrong with being attracted to someone else but continuing to think about them is another story.

I sighed, and grabbed Patrick's hand. He was driving and he looked at me in surprise, before smiling at me in his soft, loving way that made my toes curl and my heart flutter.

Torres flew out of my mind, as Patrick kissed my knuckles.

The next morning, I found myself at a ballet class at the local gym. It was a little more upmarket than I was used to but the students who joined were friendly enough. The hotel didn't offer any ballet classes so I had to do some googling. After 3 hours of intense practice, I walked out dripping in sweat and my feet sore. My muscles ached but the endorphin's gave me such a great rush. It felt good to get back into dancing.

As the rest of the day progressed, Patrick was filled with a nervous energy. Luckily it didn't transfer to me as I got dressed for dinner and the dancing afterwards.

I pulled on my dress, and zipped myself up. I was wearing a tight asymmetric dress. It hit me just about my knee, and the little belt around my waist cinched me in, highlighting my small waist. The top was white with black swirling patterns, and the bottom a pencil skirt fixed to the top. It was one of my favourite dresses and I loved how it made my body looked.

And so did Patrick, which mattered most to me.

I pulled on my favourite black heels, which made me about the same height as Patrick. I pulled out my mini black clutch. I threw in my money, phone and keys for our hotel room into it. I checked my flaxen hair, which I had braided into a crown around my head and quickly added a bit more mascara.

"Lief, you look amazing."

Patrick was leaning against the bathroom door frame, staring at me. I blushed and turned around. I tilted my head to the side.

"Promise?" I asked, unsure.

He came forward and kissed me.

"Always."

He grinned and led me out of the hotel room, closing and locking it. He grabbed my hand and while we walked, he swung our hands in an arch. I grinned as he started whistling.

He was so adorable.

After a couple hours' drive, Patrick helped me out of our car and a valet caught the keys that he passed to him. Outside the restaurant was a mass of men and women all talking and smoking together. They had camera's hanging around their necks, and all seemed to live on coffee. They glanced at us, and mostly ignored us. One or two asked for pictures so we smiled for them and then continued walking up to the booked out restaurant.

Liverpool had booked the place out for the teams' private party. I slipped my hand in the crook of his arm, and we entered the restaurant. As we waited for the host to seat us, we could hear camera's snapping behind us. I looked back and there stood Fernando with his wife. She was dressed in a beautiful, lacy LBD with silver stiletto's making her long legs look even longer. They were posing for photos and I could hear the clamour from the paparazzi. They were smiling but I could tell that the two were uncomfortable under the scrutiny.

Patrick followed my gaze and then lifted a hand in greeting to Fernando. He smiled in greeting. It lit up his face in an undeniably attractive way.

I swallowed, and pushed the thought away as his intense, chocolate eyes met mine briefly.

We broke eye contact when the blonde host came back to seat us but Patrick shooed him away. I gave the host an apologetic look and he smiled in understanding. I looked at Patrick in questioning. I wanted to follow the host but Patrick was stopping me with a firm grip on my hand.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked, pursing my lips.

He gave my head a kiss and failed to answer me. I was waiting for him to become angry with my impatience, as I tapped my foot rapidly. The heel clacked on the floor with each tap, making him wince angrily with each intrusive sound.

"We're waiting for the Torres's."

He smiled at Fernando as they walked closer. I raised an eyebrow at him but let it go. It seemed like Patrick wanted to get famous by associating with him. I doubted it though, it wasn't like him to do such a crude stunt.

When the Torres's finally reached us, the previous uncomfortable expressions on their faces had melted away. The boys greeted each other and I turned to Fernando's wife and smiled at her. She was beautiful with long, mahogany coloured hair and intense brown eyes.

"Hi, I'm Marietta."

She pecked me on both cheeks surprising me.

"Olalla. Nice to meet you. Wow that's a gorgeous ring." She whistled as she studied my engagement ring.

The boys were chatting away, Fernando and I not greeting each other. I didn't mind at all, the quick exchange from earlier between us, rattling me. She grabbed the crook of my arm and led me to the table, leaving the guys chatting. She was shorter than me, even with heels on.

The team greeted us cheerily, the women around the table giving me cursory stares. I smiled and sat down at the seat that the host had provided myself and Patrick. Olalla was opposite me with an empty seat for Fernando next to her.

"What do you want to drink ladies?" The handsome waiter asked us, his smile simpering.

I bit my lip in thought. I usually went for a cocktail but I was going to drive home tonight, so I needed to be careful. Drinking and driving is not okay.

"Sex On the Beach please." Olalla asked.

"Sex on the beach actually hurts," I laughed, "I would like a double whiskey on the rocks please." I asked. He nodded and left the table full of chatter.

She looked at me, her eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Really? I've never tried it. Always wanted to though." She looked at me curiously.

"Yeah, don't. Hurts like a mother. Anyway, Patrick and I were a bit embarrassed when a dog came sniffing."

I went slightly red with the memory. She giggled and the red spread across my face. A beautiful brunette turned around and smiled at Olalla. They greeted each other like long lost friends, as they chatted away in Spanish. She turned to me and smiled.

"I'm Yolanda, this nuisance next to me is my husband, Pepe Reina."

He smirked at her and winked and she giggled like a school girl. I jumped when I felt hands on my shoulders. I looked up and Patrick kissed my forehead. I smiled and Yolanda hit Reina on his arm.

"Why can't you be so romantic like him?" she demanded.

He grumbled to her and resumed his conversation with Daniel and his date. She rolled her eyes and I chuckled at her.

"Our families have been friends since Spain." Torres voice made me jump.

I held onto my heart as I looked at him. Olalla laughed at me, and Torres kissed her on the head. Her face twitched slightly but she smiled up at him.

That was bizarre, but maybe I saw wrong. I glanced at Patrick who had settled down next to me. He was chatting with Gerrard who was laughing at whatever he was saying. I eyed the married couple in curiosity.

I took a sip of my whiskey, trying to understand the dynamics between the two. As the night wore on, I forgot about the incident and enjoyed myself.