𝑷𝑬𝑬𝑻𝑨 𝑴𝑬𝑳𝑳𝑨𝑹𝑲 | 𝒀𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒘𝒊𝒏.

Requested by: Myself. I just had this idea and wanted to write it down before I forgot it.

✦❂✦

𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐒𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒?

Absolute nothing. It's a certain death for practically everyone. Especially if you come from one of the smaller districts that don't teach you how to fight the moment you learn to walk.

So when your neighbour and best friend got reaped to participate in the 74th Hunger Games, you couldn't help but cry. And you screamed. You screamed and cried until your throat burned and you didn't have any air in your lungs left. But you couldn't even remember half of it an hour later. You were too shocked to even think clearly.

How come that it were always the best people that had to suffer? Peeta was one of the kindest souls you have ever met and he was practically everything you had left besides you little brother.  It just wasn't fair. He didn't deserve to be put through such a horrible thing and he most certainly didn't deserve to die. And even though it's a selfish view; it wasn't fair to you either. You already lost so much. Your mother to an accident, your father to a broken heart and your sister to a fever. And now Peeta to the Hunger Games.

Your best friend would be sent off to what was nothing more than a glorified execution. An execution for a bunch of messed up fools who thought that it's amusing to force children to kill each other. It made you sick just thinking about it. Apparently so sick that your brother could tell.

"Don't worry. It's going to be alright."

"You don't know that."

The hopelessness in your voice made him sigh. He knew what Peeta meant to you, of course he did. He was far more intelligent than you would expect from a fourteen year old and even if none of you had realised it yet, it was clear for him that his older sister and the baker's son were made for each other. And so he did his best to give you a bit of hope.

"No, I don't. But Peeta's smart. He will think of something."

You on the other hand had fallen into a state of resignation an disagreed: "Being smart doesn't necessarily help when you have to fight off a career."

Your brother seemed to finally have enough from your moping. He stopped in front of the building where you were going to say goodbye to Peeta. And since you were holding his hand you had to do the same. You closed your eyes in frustration. The day already took one the worst turns you could imagine and know your brother decided to act as stubborn as a mule.