Interlude | ᴏᴘᴛɪᴍᴜꜱ

The moment Optimus got on the scene, two things made themselves known.

One, the youngling that had bonded with him was injured and unconscious. A brighter variant of energon was leaking slowly from a wound on his helm. While he could feel the calm surrounding the small cybertronian, he could tell there was stress and pain just beyond it.

Something kept him calm, bringing him to the second thing.

Megatron was holding him as if he was a precious treasure, which in a way, he was. His nemesis was holding on to Neo tightly. He kept the youngling close to his spark chamber, a detail that wasn't missed by Optimus as they stared each other down.

Everything spiraled downhill from there. Reinforcements were called, and they were outnumbered 3-to-1 by enemies in their attempt to reclaim the youngling. He trusted his team to keep the Decepticons away as they got him out of there. He focused on keeping Megatron at bay.

Neo was a symbol that not all was lost. He was a hope that a future for their people existed. He was a miracle, and Optimus would be damned if he let Megatron taint his light.

They clashed more fiercely than they had ever before, both determined to get to Neo.

"Get out of my way, Prime!" Megatron was livid and ferocious as metal collided with metal. Blasts lit up the field as they met each other blow for blow.

Optimus was a paragon of peace. If there was a way to resolve conflict without fighting, then he sought it as best he could. But in this instance, this moment, there was no way he would budge. No matter what he had to do, Megatron could not get Neo.

"Never!" So with the same ferocity, he met Megatron head-on. Blasts for blast, blade for blade, fist for fist, he kept him from where he knew Neo to be, checking him at every turn.

And then a strange light lit the field like the pulse of a racing heart. It gave off a unique sound, one any cybertronian would be familiar with.

The sound of a spark.

In the back of his mind, a memory resurfaced of his time as a simple clerk in the Iacon Hall of Records. Deciphering the old texts had been a pass time he'd enjoyed before everything fell apart, and one line came to him at this moment.

<The universe burst with vibrant light and the echoes of a breaking heart of a star.>

Neo's body, small and fragile, flared and pulsed with that unique sound. Waves of blue flames flooded the expanse, so dense that no one was spared from being knocked away.

He was crying, a sorrowful sound neither Optimus nor his sworn enemy could stand to listen to without something in their own sparks aching.

All went blind in the wake of his light. They were pushed back from each other by meters, the ground quaking in the explosion. How could he carry such power in his small frame? The sound now was deafening in his audio receptors, a mix of rapid sparkbeats and anguished cries.

That was soon replaced with silence, a sudden void of noise that left those still cognitive to reel in dizziness.

<When the light finally calmed, all that was left was nothing.>

Many littered the ground, knocked out cold from the sheer density of the blast strength. It was akin to a miniature supernova. Ashes blew in the howling winds, and at the center of it all...

Was Neo, all of his lights faded to gray as he lay at the center of a crater.

<The beloved star shined no longer.>

He may have fumbled on his feet, but he got there, and he made his way to Neo. Frantic did he race toward him, picking him up for the very first time as gently as he could. Across the now barren field, he could see his comrades also making their way to their feet.

Megatron stirred, but he too was disoriented. His senses were all over the place as he tried to balance himself. It would have been the perfect opportunity for anyone truly seeking his spark to take it while his guard had been forcibly knocked down.

But Optimus would not. Not like this. There were more important things than his enemy, and at the very bottom of his own spark, he hoped that there was still a chance that the cybertronian he once looked up to could change.

"Ratchet, groundbridge us out now! I have the little one, he will need medical treatment."

"Already on it."

Holding the limp Neo to his spark, he was thankful he could still feel their bond.

Through the portal, they went, just moments before Megatron came to his senses.

Moments before he blasted everything in his path in outrage.

Moments before he vowed to get the little one back, a new highest priority that only the most trusted of his Decepticons would know of.

Optimus, completely unaware of the new fever in which his enemy would try to track them down, only focused on the small one in his arms. He wiped away the tears that still fell, careful not to hurt him anymore.

"You're safe now."

.

.

Next Chapter: ᴡᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ

.

.