Chapter 38.

The room was filled with Lucy's screams along with the midwives yells of encouragement for Lucy to push. Sting stood beside her bed, allowing Lucy to hold his hand, more like crush it to relieve some of the pain she was facing due to labour. She had hit contractions an hour ago, and she was not keeping up too well.

Lucy was very tired, almost having no energy left to push any further. Sting stood helplessly and cringed whenever Lucy screamed in pain. It pained him to know that she was hurting right in front of him, yet all he could do was stand and watch.

"Miss, you have to keep pushing! You can do this," The midwife encouraged and kept Lucy's legs apart glancing every few minutes to check if there was any sign of the baby yet.

"I-I can't," Lucy wheezed out as she rested her head onto the pillow. Her back was propped up with another pillow behind her to make her feel comfortable as she gave birth.

"Babe, I know you can do this. Think about the baby!" Sting tried to explain but only received another hand crushing squeeze from Lucy's grip, causing Sting's eye to twitch in pain as he tried his best not to yell.

Lucy leaned forward and inhaled two deep breaths as her contraction started again and pushed down. After the contraction, she rested back onto the pillow instantly as one of the midwives dabbed a cold, damp towel on her forehead, wiping off the sweat.

Lucy breathed heavily as she rested for her next contraction. She let out a sob that she was keeping inside of her which Sting noticed and he caressed the top of her hand soothingly.

"How are you feeling love?" He asked worriedly but Lucy chuckled softly. "Great, just great." She replied sarcastically and rolled her eyes. "Why won't the baby just pop out already?!" She yelled impatiently, getting tired of the contractions.

She felt the contraction coming and started to push again, grunting and gritting her teeth together in the process as she tried her best. The midwife in charge of delivering the baby gasped at the amount of blood that Lucy had discharged. "She's losing too much blood!" The midwife warned.

Sting and the other midwife's head snapped up at the statement. Lucy continued to scream as she pushed down with all her might. She began to feel nauseous and felt the contents of her breakfast rise up her dry throat, but she quickly swallowed it down, cringing at the acidic taste and continued to push.

The midwife tried to ease down the loss of blood, but it was of no use. With the increasing blood loss and the distress she was feeling, Lucy began to feel dizzy.

"Lucy babe, you can do this! Just a few more pushes and then you're done!" Sting tried to reason but Lucy was failing to cope. Her eyelids turned into slits as she was afraid of closing them fully. Her head fell back onto the pillow again and her breathing became heavier.

Sting was panicking on the inside and his mind was racing with what to say to urge his wife on. He debated with himself whether he should confess or not, thinking it would surprise her and give her at least a bit of energy to keep her going. However, it was a huge risk during a situation like this. A risk he was willing to take.

Sting shut his eyes for a brief moment and opened them, placing his free hand over their intertwined ones.

"Lucy, I lo-"

"She's fainted!" The midwife gasped in shock and for a moment, Sting felt as if his heart had stopped. Lucy's eyes were now shut and she remained silent.

"Miss! You can't pass out like this, I can see a glimpse of the baby's head!" The midwife yelled but with receiving no response, she sent the other midwife an alarming look.

"Give her the oxygen mask and bring me the vaccuum!" She ordered but the midwife's eyes widened.

"But we it's-"

"I said, go get me the vaccuum!" The woman yelled impatiently and gave her a hard look. The midwife dropped the damp towel nearby and brought an oxygen mask over Lucy's mouth. She then rushed out of the room.

"Whoa hold up! Why did you mention a vaccuum?!" Sting questioned the midwife in front of Lucy in fear. She looked at Sting in worry. "She's incapable of pushing right now, so all we can do is do a vaccuum extraction."

Sting's hand shakily went over to Lucy's forehead, brushing away the strands of blonde hair that stuck to to the damp skin. "Wake up, Lucy." Sting whispered as his eyes scanned over Lucy's tired face.

Her chest heaved up and down while her eyes remained closed. The oxygen mask had condensed up due to Lucy's breathing and her face twisted in pain.
Suddenly, the door bursted open with a midwife rushing in, holding a vaccuum in her hand.

"I've got the vaccuum, Sandra!" The midwife slightly panted as if she had come a long way to retrieve it. "The hospital had hardly used it so it was stored away. I had to look all over the hospital for it." Sandra nodded and took the vaccuum out of her hands.

"Thank you Ella, make sure you stay by Miss Lucy's side while I do the procedure. It's dangerous, but we'll have to take the risk..." Sting's attention went onto Sandra.

"What do you mean it's dangerous?!" Sting yelled in shock. "Are you trying to-"

"We don't have any choice your majesty! The baby's head is so close to coming out, our only hope is to stick with the vaccuum extraction." Sandra snapped, earning a glare from him.

"I swear if anything happens to my wife or the baby I'll make sure you lose your job and rot in hell." He growled angrily before turning back to Lucy. Sandra remained quiet and quickly set up the vaccuum.

The loud whirring sound of the vaccuum instantly filled the room as soon as Ella turned it on, which also startled Sting slightly. Sandra then attached the flexible, rounded cup to the baby's head in Lucy's birth canal.

The cup was connected to a small, handheld pump which created the vacuums pressure to hold the cup securely to the baby's head. As soon as the cup was attached properly, Sandra started to gently pull on the handle which was attached to the cup, helping the baby down and out of the birth canal.

Sting eyed Sandra's every move like a hawk as he held onto Lucy's limp hand for dear life. After what seemed to be like forever, the vaccuum was immediately turned off and the sound of a newborn baby crying echoed throughout the small room.

That sound, made Sting's heart skip a beat with joy. He held his breath as Sandra cut the umbilical cord and Ella wrapped a white towel around the bloody baby within Sandra's arms. They both cleaned the baby up with extra towels, and Sandra walked up to Sting.

"Congratulations, it's a girl!"

Sandra handed the covered baby over to Sting and he tore his hands away from Lucy's to carry the fragile being. Her big, innocent blue eyes stared up at Sting as her tiny fists rubbed against her reddened cheeks.

She's got my eyes. Sting thought proudly to himself.

Without realising, a tear slid down Sting's cheek as he smiled down in happiness at the tiny girl in his arms. The girl which was Lucy and Sting's daughter. Sting let out the breath which he had kept in for so long in relief and glanced at Lucy, who was still passed out, then his gaze returned to the baby.

"Welcome to the world, Elena."
__________________________

Awhhhhhhh wasn't that cute? :3

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I have decided that chapter 40 WILL be the final one which means this story is coming to an end :(

Thank you for reading ❤️
- Nafisa xo