War Is Coming

I'm the dead man in this war,

but, baby, I've been here before.

There's beauty hidden in the gore,

Yeah, I'm the dead man in this war.

As the rest of that night passed, Fred leaned back against the headboard and rested his chin on my head as I cuddled into him. With his arms wrapped around me, he trailed his fingertips up and down my arm softly, leaving shivers in the wake of his touch. I used my fingertip to trace hearts on his chest where his actual heart lay underneath, soothing me with its beats. The blanket laid over our lower halves as we relaxed into the moment.

"Freddie," I spoke softly.

He hummed to let me know he was listening.

"Promise you'll keep going?"

Fred tilted his head to look at me, "What do you mean?"

I sat up so we could be eye-level, seriousness in my tone, "If something happens to me, do you promise you'll keep going?"

He sighed, diverting his gaze, "Charlotte, We've already talked about this."

"No, Fred. We've talked about something happening to you."

"Well, I don't want to talk about this," He tightened his voice as he sat up and rested his elbows on his knees. With hunched shoulders, his hands raked through his hair as he muttered, "Nothing's gonna happen to you."

"Fred, Look at me," I insisted, sitting on my knees. When he refused, I took his hands and caressed the tops with my thumbs as I pleaded quietly, "Please, look at me?"

He was hesitant at first, but slowly he lifted his glossed-over gaze, sending a pang of sadness to my chest. My eyes watered when I heard his voice crack, "I was hoping we'd never have to have this conversation."

"Then we'll make it short," I scooched closer and kissed his forehead softly to comfort him, "You listen while I talk, yeah?"

After pausing momentarily for any objection he might have, I was met with a nod as he swallowed hard. I could tell he was trying to hold back his tears, so I attempted to make it quick for him, "You're the most spectacular person I've ever met, Freddie. You're so clever and talented and have such a knack for spreading joy and laughter to the people around you. This world needs someone like you, so promise that if something happens to me, you'll continue to just be you? I don't expect you to fall right back into your happy-go-lucky mischievous nature, and I won't lie to you; it won't be as strong as it used to be. A piece of it will be missing...I know...I've been through it..."

Chocking back my tears, I kept fighting to keep my tone earnest, "But promise me you won't give up? Promise me that you won't turn into someone you're not? Promise me you'll keep telling jokes, pulling pranks, kissing your mum's cheek in the morning, working the most wonderous magic, and loving everyone with your insanely massive heart? Promise me you'll try hard to be that person you've always been meant to be and the Fred that I know and love?"

Fred finally allowed some of his tears to fall as he nodded slowly, "I promise..." He whispered, his brown eyes peering into mine as he cradled my cheek, "But don't ask me to spend my life with someone else. You're the only person I ever loved, and I don't even want to think about trying to love another."

"I won't make you promise that," I whispered back, resting my hand on top of his, "but just know I won't be mad if you do."

"Well, I won't have to worry about that because nothing will happen to you. I'm going to protect you. Just don't leave me again," The pain he was feeling was audible in his aching voice as he referred to our battle at the wedding.