I Would Be The One Winning It

KARTER'S POV

The campus seemed to be the exact same when we returned on Monday, and knowing that the formal would be held the next day, I practically felt sick. 

Sloan would probably be going with Chicago. 

Something else I would have to endure. 

At least, I only had to see them at the Christmas festival since they ended up spending Christmas separately from us and also riding back to campus separately. 

However, Sloan visibly seemed different after her talk with Chicago that day. She seemed... tense? Distant? 

I don't know... it was weird. 

And the way she was looking at me... 

It was like she looked guilty but also longing—and it practically ate me up inside, even until this very moment. The look on her face felt ingrained in my head. 

"Hey, you down to get dinner with the twins?" Davis asked, poking his head into my room as I slid my empty suitcase into my closet. 

I shrugged, closing my closet doors. 

Davis walked into my room, "What's going on with you? You seem more brooding than usual." 

I rolled my eyes, "I am not brooding," I retorted. 

Davis lazily raised his brows, plopping onto my bed, "Sure..." he trailed off, clearly not buying what I said. "Just tell me what's going on," he suggested as I sat in the swivel chair at my desk. 

I shrugged, not exactly feeling inclined to discuss Sloan—even if I knew Davis would support the topic. I mean he practically got me through the entire break-up along with Jalen who supported me whenever he wasn't by Jaden or Sloan's side. 

"Karter, what is it?" Davis asked, clearly worried, which clearly meant I was displaying my thoughts on my face. 

I sighed stressfully, shaking my head, "Did... did Sloan seem different to you?" I asked. 

Davis furrowed his brows, "Different?" 

I pursed my lips, "The day of the festival... when she came back from her talk with Chicago," I explained, wondering what the talk involved. 

I hope Sloan's okay... 

My brain keeps imagining scenarios where she's not.

"Oh... the festival," Davis said, pursing his lips awkwardly as he looked away from me. 

I tilted my head, concluding that there was something he wasn't telling me. 

"Davis, what do you know?" I asked, suddenly standing from the chair. 

Davis sucked in a slight breath, "I... I shouldn't say anything. It's not my business to tell." 

I furrowed my brows, "Not your business to tell?" I retorted, feeling slightly angered by the lack of information. "Sloan's business is my business, which means it's my business and it's for you to tell me," I pointed out, walking over to him. 

Davis only sighed, "But she's not your—" 

"Davison," I cut him short, practically feeling my jaw lock into place. 

Davis shook his head, "Fine..." he trailed off, suddenly standing from the bed as well. That must mean it's serious. "Sloan told Cher and me that... that Chi got an internship in Paris." 

I smiled slightly, feeling slightly excited that she'd be away for a while. I'm terrible for that, I know, but it's not like Sloan belongs with Chicago.